Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via Yahoo to 944freak
pulling engine tomorrow

I'm pulling the engine tomorrow from the 83 and putting the 86 engine the next day hopefully. Can I pull the engine from the top?

Old 07-07-2003, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Macfreak007
I think it has to be dropped out the bottom in order for it to fit
Old 07-07-2003, 09:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

anyone else?
Old 07-07-2003, 09:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to afx
You can do it both ways. One of the ways is easier... dont remember which.

Http://members.rennlist.com/afx
Old 07-07-2003, 10:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

theres just so much more stuff to pull off taking it though the bottom
Old 07-07-2003, 10:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to TNT25169
944 Freak, why are you selling your huntley sc kit? Was it not impressive? Did u ever have it on a car and if you did, did you like it?
Old 07-08-2003, 03:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

never had it on a car.... I bought my 951 so I'm selling the kit to help get my Vitesse kit on my 951.
Old 07-08-2003, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to TNT25169
how much do you want for it? I don't think I have enough money right now but I'm just curious. You can e-mail me at TNT25169@aol.com if you want. Did you pull your engine from the top or the bottom and how hard was it to disconnect everything. How long did this whole project of getting everything loose take? Thank you much.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Pulling the engine from the top is doable. You have to remove the nine (9) bolts around the clutch pressure plate/flywheel. Take off the starter to get to them. Mine were six point socket heads (allens). If you take out the spark plugs you can turn the engine with a large screw driver against the starter teeth on the flywheel. Loosen each a bit at a time so you don't warp the clutch plate.

You can take off the hood but I suggest just removing one of the ends of each hood "spring" and bracing the hood vertical with padded a two by four from the back.

You will have to drop the front crossmember a few inches but you don't have to remove the A-arms or the top of the struts just the steering link at the steering rack, the four crossmember bolts and the rear bushing of the A-arm. Mark the rear A-arm bushings location so you can get it put back in the same location. This controls/sets the front wheel castor.

The top bolt for the flywheel to the engine is a beast! With the cross member loose you can drop the engine a few inches to get a better angle on this bolt. I cut down a black impact socket with a dremel cut off wheel to get at it with a breaker bar.

Don't forget to remove the sensors and their braket. You will have to soak the heck out of the sensors and the bolts to get them to come loose. The 83 sensor bracket will fit the 86 engine.

The two differences between the engines that impact swapping are the oil filler/breather has a larger port at the bottom and the temp sender for the dash gauge is different. You can use one of the two terminals on the 86 temp sensor for the gauge. The other is an on-off for the idiot light (none in the 83).
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 07-08-2003, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Top or bottom depends on your particular situation. When I did my 85.5 I pulled from the top. I had to do this so that I could leave the wheels and subframe attached in order to roll the chassis around.

I did not have enough room between the back wall of my garage and the inside of the garage door to park the car on stands and still move the crane around.

It was not difficult to pull from the top, I did however need to unbolt the clutch plate and the bell housing in order to clear it. Someone here did it recently and a thread was started about how he did it.
1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 07-08-2003, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I have pulled my angine from the top and dropped it out the bottom. I would have to say I much prefer dropping it out the bottom.

1994 Grand Cherokee
6inch Lift, 33" TSL'S
Old 07-08-2003, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Whats wrong with the 83 motor? Is it for sale? Im looking for a motor to rebuild this winter.

Sabyre

Maine 4x4 Club www.maine4x4.org
Old 07-08-2003, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

The motor was running but I had the guy who painted my car do the timing belts. We tried to start it and I heard some noise. I happened to find a good deal on a motor that had new rings, bearings, seals, aftermarket cam, and a new clutch. At the time I was planning on putting the sc kit on so i needed a new clutch anyway. I went ahead annd bought the motot and I'm gonna put it in tomorrow. The 83 engine may still be a running engine and I may sell it. I'm going to take the head off and check the valves. I will post whenever I find out everything and get this car running. I will sell the supercharger kit for $2000 check my old posts on it.
Old 07-08-2003, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Pulling the engine from the top means leaving the bell housing and clutch assembly behind. Only have to drop the starter to get to the nine clutch bolts.

Leaving the bell housing behind means not having to twist and cuss at the engine because it does not clear the headlight cross shaft because it's hung up on the eight inches of drive shaft still sticking out of the torq tube.

Leaving the bell housing behind means not having to monkey fart with all of the clutch lever stuff.

As also related it's much easier to temp bolt the front cross member back and roll it around.

Dropping the engine out the bottom makes sense only if you have the same lifts and tools as a dealer. I don't but would like to.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 07-08-2003, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Well.....The motor is out. I didn't have to leave the bell housing. It was a major PITA though. I think putting the new motor in will be a little easier now that i have a little experience with it.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I got the motor in from the top. It was not too hard. But I also have a crossmember bolt broke off in the frame....PITA...... Hopefully tomorrow I'll have the bolt out and have her up and running.
Old 07-09-2003, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I pulled my 951 engine out with the bellhousing & clutch attached. It was simpler to just unbolt the 4 bolts that held the torque tube to the bell-housing. I did remove the belt-covers, belts and water-pump in front to get some space, but I didn't have to take the headlight crossbar off either.

ALso helped that I removed the head and exhuast headers, this gave some more lateral wiggle room. Nice part about this was I only had to unbolt the four crossmember bolts and caster-blocks on the bottom (blocks stayed with A-arms). Didn't need to get an alignment afterwards either.
Old 07-12-2003, 12:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Rob Hogenmiller
Dannon,

Did you pull it out from the bottom then?

The thing I don't understand is if you pull it out from the bottom, how high is your car in the air?

If you pull it out from the top, how high does the car need to be in the air?
Old 02-18-2004, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
Rob....

A couple of feet if you want to drop from underneath.....

At least a 1-1.5 feet if you want to pull from the top... you still have to get underneath to loosen some items...

I have pulled from above as well....
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 02-18-2004, 11:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

No, I pulled it out the top, no problems really. I just unbolted the rear caster-blocks and the crossmember and dropped the entire thing. Then I pulled the engine out the top. Don't see what the big deal people have with it is. Yes, it certainly helps if you remove the belt-covers & pulleys and maybe even the water-pump. But I've pulled it out with all that stuff in place as well. The trick is to have a leveler so you can tilt the engine about 35-45 degrees.

Old 02-18-2004, 12:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: