Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Timing Belt

I'm getting close to 120k miles and the previous owner of the car said she couldn't recall whether there had ever been a timing belt change on the car. I asked a local shop about it and they said $600 for the timing belt and water pump. I want to try doing it myself, if possible. So, naturally, I have a few questions about the procedure.

First, how difficult is a timing belt change on a 944 turbo (does it differ very much from a 944 NA?)? And, how much more difficult will it be to replace the water pump while I'm at it?

Second, I saw this "Porsche Belt Replacement Kit" on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6763&item=2422774873 ) and was wondering if anyone has ever tried replacing their belts with that same or similar kit. Do these kits work well? Are there any other belts that will need to be changed besides what is mentioned in the kit? Will the "tensioning tool" in the kit work anything like the $400 Porsche tensioning tool?

Thanks,
Matt

-Koni Yellow Sport Adjustable struts and shocks
-225 lb springs up front

Cleaned grounds = happy 944
WTB: 951 black passenger door/fender
Old 07-08-2003, 10:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

My advise is, If you not comfotable doing it "pay someone" because if its not done right it will cost alot more than you saved (order of the bent valve). If you pay someone and it goes wrong they pay.

83 NA Gaurds Red ( Home at last)
Holden/Opel Vectra 2002
Old 07-08-2003, 11:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Where in L.A. are you? I'm in Costa Mesa.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 07-09-2003, 01:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I'm in Rowland Heights (midway between downtown LA and Riverside)
-225 lb springs up front

Old 07-09-2003, 03:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

To replace the water pump you'll have to remove the back of the timing belt plastic housing. That means the crank pulley must come off. To get the crank pulley off, you'll need a flywheel lock and a cheater bar to get the bolt holding the crank pulley off.

There is nothing difficult about the water pump removal. Just don't break any studs off. The infamous snap ring for the thermostat can be dealt with much more easily with the pump removed from the engine.

Like someone else said about the belts. If you are not comfortable doing them, let someone else do them. If it breaks, it's expensive.

Reams have been written about how to tension the belt properly. People do not all think the same on that contentious subject.
1987 328GTS
2011 528i
Old 07-09-2003, 05:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Anyone know a good shop around Los Angeles that has done belts/water pumps on 944s and is not too expensive? I asked Mckenna Porsche how much they would charge for the timing belt and water pump and they said $1525!!! I definitely am going to do some searching around for a mechanic that can do it for a lot less.

Thanks,
Matt
-225 lb springs up front

Old 07-09-2003, 09:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I know Iam in Australia but with our dollar only worth $0.67 US this seems expencive as it only cost me $997.70 to have my water pump replaced and that was by a dealer.

83 NA Gaurds Red ( Home at last)
Holden/Opel Vectra 2002
Old 07-10-2003, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: