Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to hoff944
Post I need some people to back me up.

Well I think my clutch is about to die. I'm getting a lot of backlash (The car bucks around) when I let off of the throttle. Thats what my guess is. Everything is fine through acceleration. So you guys have the same opinion?

Old 04-13-2001, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Rollins Send a message via AIM to Rollins
I had the same symptoms. When I put the new spring centered clutch in it made it all go away.
Old 04-13-2001, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The way I check for clutch slippage is:
1. Put the trans in fifth or the highest gear
2. At idle and parking brake on, SLOWLY release the clutch
3. If the engine starts to buck, IMMEDIATELY engage clutch, all is well.
Another way to tell is to going up a long hill. If you have a increase in RPM's but none in MPH, you'll smell the friction lining.

I'd do the first procedure. Good luck and aloha. Neal
Old 04-13-2001, 07:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The clutch has never been replaced either. I think thats what it is.
Old 04-13-2001, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I am not sure to go with the spring centered or rubber? I've heard many different conflicting opinions. I'm leaning towards the rubber now.
Old 04-13-2001, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Rollins Send a message via AIM to Rollins
The spring is stronger and last longer. From what I have been told it will eliminate all clattering while the clattering will return with a rubber. The spring centered disc is considered an upgrade. I got mine at the same price as a rubber would cost, you can't go wrong at the same price.
Old 04-13-2001, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
It definately sounds like your clutch...I had the clutch in my '83 replaced with a spring type, and I was very pleased with it...It's much more durable than the rubber..Cus
Old 04-14-2001, 05:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Say Bye-Bye to that clutch! I put the spring centered unit in mine, and will never go back to the rubber unit again. And don't even ask if you should do it yourself, because you know you should. Actually, Nashville isn't that far away, and I might be up for a little weekend get away
Old 04-14-2001, 05:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Is it that hard to do? I've heard all of these horror stories and some people say thats its worth it to have it done. Can anyone send me the factory workshop manuel portion for the clutch so I can take a look at the process? I'd love to try it, but I don't want to get in over my head. I'd like to have it done so I can drive it to the Corvette Museum Porsche Club event.

Hey, if you consider a weekend getaway a 944 clutch job, come on down to the Hoff Resort. Its a bed and breakfast with a beautiful red 84' 944 in the garage waiting to have its clutch extracted.
Old 04-14-2001, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

My better half wants to know if there is a mall nearby
Old 04-14-2001, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Forgot to add: Did it just start doing this? I drove mine around for two years with a shot clutch. I don't recomend it, but it can be done. You should be able to ease it into the Corvette museum if you are pressed for time.
Old 04-14-2001, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Opry Mills which is part of the Mills Corp. has the brand new mega mall here. I'm heading there right now for some new clothes.

Believe it or not it just started last night for the first time. I was heading out to make postcard announcements for our upcoming PCA Tech Session (I'm our regions newsletter editor now) and it went out on me. I'm hoping to get reimbursed for a clutch because I was on PCA duty. I was pressing in on the clutch when I was slowing down. It felt too bad. I had just removed my roof for the first time this year. I let out a big Homer J. Simpsons, "D'OH" when it happened.
Old 04-14-2001, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Got this form the Founders Region Board...Is for a 951 but maybe this will help...

http://www.user.dccnet.com/lmason/951%20Clutch.htm

Old 04-14-2001, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: