Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Post surgeon's latex gloves - smart or silly

i have seen several local mechanics wearing latex gloves while working on cars. i got a box a few weeks ago because i cant go to work monday looking like a bafoon infront of clients. at first i thought they were annoying and silly, but i have come to like them.

do you guys use them?

and if you dont and think you are too macho, try 3 or 4 repairs with them on and see how you like them then.

how do you vote, smart or silly?

Old 04-09-2001, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
What would Darth Vader do

Send a message via Yahoo to Gordon Rankin
I no longer will work on my car without a pair of gloves. I like to have clean hands when I finish.
Old 04-09-2001, 09:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Rollins Send a message via AIM to Rollins
Actually there are adverse effects from continued exposure to oils and similar chemicals on the human body and therefore using plastic gloves also protects you.
Old 04-09-2001, 09:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

yeah, like your newborn son may have three feet.
Old 04-09-2001, 09:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
What would Darth Vader do

Send a message via Yahoo to Gordon Rankin
Only 3 feet? I thought 5 or 6 was the norm now. Better living through "chemistry"
Old 04-09-2001, 10:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
I didn't wear them for this WEEKS JOB (they don't last only a few hours of one day anymore, I'll have a report coming up)...

Well, took me a hell of a long time to clean out my nails, and there's a dark spot on my palm that I can't get off, oh before I forget, last night at around 3am (that's how long I stayed working on the damn thing), I was ready to get in the shower... I felt like my leg was wet, from my knee to my ankle, well it wasn't! No joke... I'm gonna have to start wearing rubber panths too I guess. Either way, no more laying down under a car with power steering lines hanging loose, antifreeze dripping, and oil already on the ground for me!

Gloves are a good idea, I USUALL don't wear them, cause they get cut too easily, but that's probably to change by tomorrow (hopefully I'll be done by then!).

Wear them, I don't know about you, but I don't wanna feel like my leg is wet when it's not again...
Ahmet

------------------
It's all the driver...
Old 04-09-2001, 10:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

From what I have heard the primary effects are sexual. What give you more satisfaction??
Old 04-09-2001, 10:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Those gloves are great, but they do get caught in some places, and sometimes rip.
Changing oil or silly things like that they work awesome.

Oil...can give you cancer....spray paint, can make your kids have 6 noses, gas gives you cancer, coolant poisons ya.
BTW drinkin out of too many plastic bottles gives you femal bad hormones...latex gloves are ok since its just your skin but anything that has sat in plastic especially liquids gives you bad hormones.

But then again, its sort of useless to worry about all this stuff, IF you smoke cigs (Ahmet!!, trying to get you to stop!!!)

Old 04-09-2001, 11:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Michael Jackson isn't my favorite artist, but I got to hand it to him with:

"I can't tell you, do what you wanna do, it's your thing...

PS: I've smoked about 6 a day for the last week or so, just don't wanna quit yet. When I finally put that oil pan back on, and the new subframe looked just right after polishing, I couldn't help but start the car, listen to the beautifull tone, and enjoy a cigarette, I'm sorry, but honest!
Ahmet

------------------
It's all the driver...
Old 04-09-2001, 11:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

This is totally off hand but it seems as though smoking is a lot more popular in a few different cultures. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't it like the thing in a lot of middle eastern places (I heard it is huge in Israel and like everyone is two pack a day smoker). Anyway Ahmet, I agree with the rest of them. You should quit completely. But it is your decision and yours alone. It's just that a lot of us have seen what it can do to you and we wouldn't wish it on anyone, not even some one we hate.
Old 04-10-2001, 12:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

everytime I work on my car I bring them home from the hospital where I work......it's a smart thing to do and saves alot of time and effort washing your hands especialy when you have to immediatley drive the vehicle..I was the only one that did this in my auto shop class and i could care less what other peopel think....it saved me alot of time having to wash my hands and I figured I was smarter than these idots in my class.........you should have seen them try to change a tire........anyway soem kids thought it was stupid then they were asking to borrow some..........Like I said.....i'm a smart guy.........you have to remember, these wer ethe same kids that wouild not use an umbrella under the rain becuase of what their firneds might think.....they would rather catch pneumonia.......be you own person and people will respect you......

[This message has been edited by vas deferens (edited 04-10-2001).]
Old 04-10-2001, 12:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Wink

Rollins, don't know about israel...

I'd think that there'd be more people who smoked in the middle east, and around eastern europe...

I believe there's more people who smoke in europe compared to here, it's a social thing, people pick up things from being more in contact with others/friends. However in the countries I've been to, smoking as a teen wasn't quite 'cool'. Infact I didn't know a single person who smoked.

I started about two years ago, and have cut back from a tad over a pack about 6 months ago. I don't desire to quit completely. Don't get me wrong, not saying I can, or cannot. However, otherwise (save for the latest exposure to chemicals)I live quite healthly, and still don't see myself needing to catch a breath doing anything (in basketball class forexample, or during track practice, we have 85 min. classes!). I'm not saying it doesn't do any damage, this is likely because I've been mountain biking since I could walk!

PS: Don't know how to break it to you, but I'm still not gay, not the least bit, and will NOT sleep with you regardless of how many chemicals I may be around, or how much I smoke, I'm sorry...

Heh heh.
Ahmet

------------------
It's all the driver...
Old 04-10-2001, 12:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
I usually wear cloth gloves on top of the latex gloves. The latex protect the skin and keeps it clean, and the cloth protects the latex glove from catching an tearing, as well as giving your fingers a break when attempting to turn bolts and nuts without a tool or freehand.

------------------
It's all the driver's (work glove)...
Old 04-10-2001, 01:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to PrerYDoG
Latex gloves might be a good idea, but I need to first learn to keep the rest of me out of chemicals.

Doing my radiator job last weekend, I was working on the top part, trying to move something with both hands, and turn a screwdriver. Let me say this: NEVER PUT A SCREWDRIVER IN YOUR MOUTH AFTER USING IT WITH ANTI-FREEZE SOAKED HANDS. But MMMMMM, it tasted sooooooo good.

I had to go rinse my mouth out as soon as I realized what I had just done. And the rest of my body (not just the leg from the knee to the ankle), but my torso, arms, all of them were soaked.

Latex gloves may be good for changing a tire, but I'll be damned if they could help someone as messy as me.
Old 04-10-2001, 03:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to porscheboi928s/c944t/n
INVISIGLOVES(any parts store should have it)....just apply it like a lotion and let dry for few minutes especially on the fingertips.....
Old 04-10-2001, 05:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Ahmet i just trying to be hard on you thats all.

Speaking of chemicals and safety, you all wear saftey glasses under your car?
In shops i see guys looking straight up with no protection, man a dip stick could fall and poke there eye out or something.
Old 04-10-2001, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Banned

Hmmm not such a dumb post when you think about your own personal health and safety.

It's a well proven fact that exposure to chemicals and known carcinogens is bad for your health. Gloves "help" but do not eliminate this contact exposure.

I can't recall a automotive shop where I did not see the tech's in gloves... (except in the old days.) It's just plain old dumb to not protect yourself. Besides, I'm sure you want your hands clean when you play with your toy's.

As for glasses, I'm not always careful about that and have had a few surprises but no dip sticks. Did get a civic in my eye once... what a pain...

Old 04-10-2001, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to stray15
There are a really nice pair of mechanic gloves. They are made by Mechanix. I have a pair but after 2 weeks of everyday use they got holes in the finger tips. That was with the cheapest ones they had. They have some more better quality ones out there that I will be trying out as soon as my work gets them in.

------------------
Porsche, Through and through
Tim
'83 944
Old 04-10-2001, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Shaun, I REALLY appreciate that.
It's 3:30 and the clock is going backwards here....
Old 04-10-2001, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

I never venture out with out them yup they don't last too long usally an hour or so depending on what I'm doing I buy them in packs of 100 for seven dollars at harbor freight.. They rip or I want to pick something else up I pull them off.. granted when I did my clutch looked like a glove factory expolded in my garage but they are great.. and I had the same experiance with the Mechanic's gloves plus I can't feel anything in them lots of times I can't see what I'm working on...

Matt

Old 04-10-2001, 10:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: