Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Terrible radio reception

SInce i bought my car my radio reception has been awful sometimes and acceptable at others. I just put a new radio/cd player in and made sure all the speakers work but reception is still very poor. I have an 1987 944 with A/t and the antenna is flush bonded with the windshield. Does anyone have any tips to improve reception?

Old 08-06-2003, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

944 FAQ

Quote:
Starting with the 85/2 944, an in-glass windshield 'active' antenna system was used. Under the dash, between the glove box and the passenger side fender, there is a small preamplifier - made by Fuba. This amplifier is powered by a lead, which runs alongside the coax leading to the radio. It connects, through the wiring harness, to the 'power antenna' lead on the radio in order to get power whenever the radio is turned on.

Last, on some very late 968s, a small roof-mounted antenna was used. This is mounted just in front of the hatchback. It is also an 'active' Fuba-style antenna.

When installing an aftermarket radio on a car with an active antenna system, it seems to be a common problem to forget to apply power to the preamplifier. The following are the most common symptoms:

- Poor reception on FM - only a few strong stations will appear

- Virtually no reception on AM

Note that the preamp must be connected to a switched source to avoid running the battery down. Again, this is the 'power antenna' lead in the radio's wiring harness.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Yes, connect the small black wire that's joined to the antenna lead, to the blue power out on the radio(amplifier turn on, power antenna etc.) The car has a power antenna amplifier and it's not getting any juice, once you connect the wire you'll be amazed at the difference!
Old 08-06-2003, 09:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

oops sorry, need to refresh the screen more often, good info apache
Old 08-06-2003, 09:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

This Is Scary!!!

I have not owned a P-Car since 1988 and I knew that one by just reading the forums.

I will be so ready when I get my next one.

I'm still looking!
Old 08-06-2003, 09:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by highboost951
oops sorry, need to refresh the screen more often, good info apache
Me Too!

Thanks highboost!
Old 08-06-2003, 09:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Hey, I have A Related Question.

What are some of the replacement choices if that Fuba pre-amp takes a powder?

There has to be better stuff out there since these things were made.

I remember that radio reception in my 924 was nothing to write home about, but that was before the pre-amp days so I have no idea what that problem would have been.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
My blaupunkt head unit has a "reception amp" (somewhat common on the better head units). Combined with a properly working fuba amp for the antenna, I get better reception in my 944 than I do in my 98 accord (stock radio). You can find a used one relatively easily (junk yard, dismantler, e-bay, etc.), I'd just opt for that.
Ahmet
Old 08-07-2003, 01:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I found the preamp but god only knows where that wire leads to!!! im trying to remove the radio now to take a peek to see if the black wires there but i dont think it is....

Last edited by 944lvr; 08-07-2003 at 10:16 AM..
Old 08-07-2003, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Ok managed to check out all wires and saw that the wires all connected to their appropriate places. Its impossible to actually check the condition of the wiring cause the radio is wired to the pre amp in such a way that if i were to remove the wires i would have to rip half the car out. The only possible problems could be... a damaged wire (unlikely) or more likely that the pre amp is no longer good. If so, where would i be able to gety a new pre amp?? i dont think it will be a very enjoyable process to remove the current one and install a new one because of the way everythings positioned....CORRECTION the blue (small wire) power antenna lead in the radio has a wire coming out of it but it is not connected to anything......however, there are no other wires left to connect it to, as the pre amp wires are connected to the antenna lead (large thick black wires) what the hell should i do?

Last edited by 944lvr; 08-07-2003 at 11:20 AM..
Old 08-07-2003, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to TheCooler
I kind of have the same problem. I have 2 Antenna wires but one of them works a tiny bit with about 2 stations and the other doesnt seem to work at all. The thinner one works and the thicker one doesnt do anything. Why is there 2 antenna wires coming into my car at the same place? It kinda annoys me. Where can i find this power antenna lead ...and its the blue wire i have hooked up to my subs amp to turn it on and off correct?
-2007 Ford PIMP(free)star ...company car....
-1999.5 Jetta VR6
Old 08-07-2003, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

We had the same problem with my girlfriends Quattro Coupe. Checked the wiring and the amp for the Fubs antenna was not powered. Ran the stereo amplifier turn on, power antenna etc wire to it and the car now gets excellent reception.

Good Luck,

1985.5 944
Dodge Viper Blue on black/tan
white face gauges
throttle cam
short shift kit
Old 08-07-2003, 09:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

They make a non-amped fuba style antena that works great if you want to go through the trouble of mounting it. They just plug right in to the back of the stock antenna plug in on the back of your radio.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Where would i be able to find one of those non amped fuba style thingies??
Old 08-08-2003, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

rennbay or anyonre please tell me where i can find the fuba style thing that plugs directly into the radio
Old 08-09-2003, 11:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

check my sig

Old 08-10-2003, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: