Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

924S Turbo

How hard would it be to convert a 924S with a 944 Turbo Motor/Tranny etc.?

If one could get a tranny/clutch/motor/DME, etc., for a good deal, how hard would it be to drop in the equipment? I believe the engine bay would be about equal to a 944 Turbo because the 924S has a 944 engine. I think a guy did this a few years ago. This would be one hell of a sleeper.

Old 08-07-2003, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
uh oh, now you've done it. the floodgates are open!

let me be the one to begin the flogging....

"it would be easy! just put your 924S up for sale and buy a 951!"
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 08-07-2003, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Certified Rennwerker

Send a message via MSN to 924Sman
Quote:
Originally posted by CJFusco
uh oh, now you've done it. the floodgates are open!

let me be the one to begin the flogging....

"it would be easy! just put your 924S up for sale and buy a 951!"

I don't have the energy to flog this dead horse anymore!!

But I will take one for this....I will buy a Turbo or install one when they can figure out how to keep up with me in the corners on short courses! I am toast other wise! Sman
Old 08-07-2003, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

Quote:
Originally posted by 924Sman
But I will take one for this....I will buy a Turbo or install one when they can figure out how to keep up with me in the corners on short courses! I am toast other wise! Sman
???

you obviously haven't been running against the right drivers.
Old 08-07-2003, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Certified Rennwerker

You are so right! No I am just envious of the HP but to stupid to own it! Turbo's are cool too!! Just don't have the "balz" to own one! Sman
Old 08-07-2003, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

awwww c'moooon. anyone can do it! you'll get used to it quickly. true story, I took my car to the shop after having it for a while and complained that it doesn't have that kick anymore so there must be something wrong. the tech said 'naah, everything's fine, you're just getting used to it." it's a load of fun that no one should be deprived of. and then you can brag about being able to handle a "real" car
Old 08-07-2003, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Certified Rennwerker

Ok I give up!.... I need turbo parts used NOW! Baby needs ponies!...jk I cannot comment on the "real" car as I sit here next to the 911 GT 4 racer sssssssh! I can see it getting hungry for 951's! Sman
Old 08-07-2003, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

'salright, I'll make it bring that tail around while I leave it in my dust
Old 08-07-2003, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Certified Rennwerker

see second quote...
Old 08-07-2003, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I saw that Mini Cooper at Fontana Grand Am a few months back. Not to bust your chops, but there isn't much to brag about there. It's cute, if that is what you mean.
Old 08-07-2003, 10:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to gearhead290
I have over $20 in pennies!

Porscheboy-look to the top right of the screen. Do you see a row of little boxes with words in them? Look inbetween "FAQ" and "home", there you will find the answer to your question and many others you might have.

Now back to being thread whores...

Last edited by gearhead290; 08-07-2003 at 11:44 PM..
Old 08-07-2003, 11:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

If you ask me it's not worth the cost or the effort. That "sleeper" fad will wear off sooner that you think. Then you will end up with a 924 that's more expensive than a real 951.
Old 08-08-2003, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

IMHO a Dodge Omni would be a much better sleeper. Nobody would expect that little beast to come close with anything. AND the greatest part is you could EASILY be able to take out a 951 (in a straight line) for UNDER $2000!
Old 08-08-2003, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Certified Rennwerker

Quote:
Originally posted by bogomili
I saw that Mini Cooper at Fontana Grand Am a few months back. Not to bust your chops, but there isn't much to brag about there. It's cute, if that is what you mean.

Nope I think they are ugly! But they handle better than a Go-Kart!!
Brand new car and never raced, takes some time to develope the proper set ups! Brakes are a trouble area so that is a good reason to be a little slow at this point! And what is to be expected for 150+ hp?! Sman
Old 08-08-2003, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

well if porscheboy did really want to do this swap...how hard would it be?
Old 08-08-2003, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I thought the Mini Cooper was awesome at the slalom?

SMAN-if no spinning is allowed then how exactly can a car move?? Besides, I've always had fun spinning my car around in circles

IMO the n/a to turbo swap wouldn't be that hard to do. Not much harder than any other engine swap anyways. This has already been discussed tons of times; but hey, we can do it again I guess.

You need a COMPLETE engine, wiring harness, DME, KLR, the clutch and flywheel (You might be able to run the n/a clutch and flywheel, but I wouldn't reccomend it), you would need to come up with a place to mount the intercooler (i'm not sure if the n/a has any place to mount it, and I recall being told that the nose panel is not removable on the n/a), A/C lines would need to be rerouted or have a heat sheild installed (I think I would just take them out a/c if it were me), and the turbo is water-cooled therefore you will need a supply tank for it. Something tells me I forgot at least one thing in there...

Last edited by gearhead290; 08-08-2003 at 11:21 AM..
Old 08-08-2003, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

doesn't seem too bad...just need to have money and time to do a swap and be able to find all the parts needed
Old 08-08-2003, 11:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

NASA always says they can make a rock fly, given enough time and money.

ANY swap can be done, w/enough time and money. Do you have the time/money Porscheboy16?

Old 08-09-2003, 04:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: