Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Post soiled shorts experience

saturday i was driving along and talking with the wife and was in a re involved conversation,, well i was stopped behind someone making a left turn against traffic.after a minute or so the guy caught a chance to make his turn..well out of reflex or something (keep in mind the conversation) i just made the turn with him..there was not enough time for the both of us..as the hair on the back of my neck stood up i just punched it and all i could see was a grill coming in the car..i heard nor felt a smash..when i opened my eyes we had made the turn somehow...oohhh i couldnt tell you how i did it..i imediatley pulled over to check my shorts and gather myself and gazed over at my wife who finger nails where stuck in the dashboard.we just looked at each other and i drove off..not a peep came from her or i for what seems like an hour.and i kringe thining about what could happen in 1 second of time...does anyone have a simular horror storie??? i think i need to hear that i'm not the only one this has ever happened to..in 25 years of driving this was by far the worst moment...

Old 04-23-2001, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
Yeah, I got hit by an Opel Vectra in Turkey.

Believe it or not, it didn't feel nearly as bad as a close call!

I did go to the hospital, but didn't (couldn't) feel any pain. I was conscious, and could stand up, hold a conversation, etc. but did NOT feel anything. (I was bleeding lightly from my shoulder, and a tad from my forehead).
Ahmet

------------------
It's all the driver...
Old 04-23-2001, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
Actually it was pretty scary, it was 4 bozos, who had just started their vacation, and it would be spoiled because they can't drive anymore!

PS: We were all Turks, as this was in Turkey Shaun, I'm just lucky he wasn't Persian I guess huh?
Ahmet

------------------
It's all the driver...
Old 04-23-2001, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I've come pdc to wrecking a loaded school bus when the brakes failed. Maybe that would qualify. I filled out a work order on the brakes, they supposedly fixed and released the bus to service. I complained that they didn't feel fixed but was told to drive it anyway. Idiot me didn't know enough to say no way! Idiot wrench forgot to top off the master cylinder and tighten a line or two. Even for a adrenaline junkie like me, there are limits.

If you count 80 foot ground fall rock climbing, or getting shot, then, there's a whole 'nother kettle of fish. Ahmet- you're right. It don't hurt right away, even with the red stuff flowing. Give it about a minute or two for the nerves to check in and time to speed back up to normal and- whoa baby does that smart!!! Downside is that you never fully recover and this stuff will start coming back to haunt you later on.

Dave951M
Old 04-23-2001, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Wink

whew! - encouraging thoughts there Dave. . .

Did you ever consider becoming a psychotherapist !
Old 04-24-2001, 01:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Wink

Nope- Don't know what I wanna be when I grow up.

Really though, the purpose of my ramblings is to hopefully show some of these younger guys on the board that everything you do has consequences at some point in time and to think before acting. I'm now carrying a 20+% disability from my escapades but I try now to eat healthy and preserve what I have left. Just let a front go through and me and the Advil bottle will go curl up in a corner. Don't want to use anything more powerful since that's a road best left untravelled. Osteoarthritis is a bear too. Still like tinkering mit der Porsche, not all therapy requires a couch.

Dave951M
Old 04-24-2001, 01:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

You're right Dave, I have 15 - 20% hearing loss in both ears. But man, was I cool with that high wattage stereo in my car! It's been said a million times before, but if I knew I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
Old 04-24-2001, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Speak up please, I can't make out what you say.
Old 04-24-2001, 09:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

IM6Y- I'm also in tool and die work, and the machinery can certainly take your hearing a smidge at a time before you know it. It can also result from exposure to race cars without protection.

In my younger, less alert days, I was a card carrying member of the "hey yall, watch this" club. I'd try about anything once and if I liked it, maybe several more times. Never lost the climbing bug even after a week in the fender shop for repairs. I just toned it down a bit. (The illusion of youthful immortality was wearing thin.) In addition, I've broken quite a few parts of the skeletal system, some multiple times. Got carjacked over a Datsun 310 of all things, maybe the guy shot me because it was a crappy car. That episode resulted in 1) taking nearly a year to walk again without a limp- 2) taking 2 years to regain nearly full motion of the left elbow and shoulder- 3) permanent loss of strength and motion in the left leg due to spinal injury from said shooting. You could say that period became my epiphany of sorts. Each time, there was no thought of shorts checking till much later. "Seeing the elephant" can certainly change your outlook.

Psychoanalyst?? Naw, a guy I used to know was a for real shrink. The running gag was "how do you feel about that?" Since he minored in sociology, we had some rather interesting discussions while observing crowds. Want cheap entertainment? Read up on abnormal psych principles of sociology and go down to the local mall where the teenagers hang out. Get a table off to the side in the eating area and just watch. Will the preps be muscled out of their area by the goths? Like I said, very entertaining. It's what I do when the better half is shopping. The same applies to any large group at anything. Sorry to ramble, just a bit more than $.02 worth

Dave951M
Not all therapy requires a couch
Old 04-25-2001, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Rollins Send a message via AIM to Rollins
I am in college psychology right now and I must agree with you as far as how entertaining some of the most minor things can become. It's also fun picking apart people's reasoing and such right in front of them.

Old 04-25-2001, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: