Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Suspect Head gasket

I have an 87 951 that barley ever drive...in fact I am trying to sell it. I noticed today...I was checking it over and there is coolant in the oil (milky) and there seems to be a bit of oil in the coolant. The coolant level drains, but I do not notice a difference in idle...still idles very smooth and has power too. Sound like a head gasket? Any one know how much I could get for it w/ a blown head gasket? I really need the money now, so i am thinking of letting it go w/o fixing it, but I may fix it as well. it is in great shape w/ 59k on it. Thanks for the info...Also where is the best place to go for gasket set?

Old 08-30-2003, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Cant say for sure but the most common cause of this problem I know is bad seals in the oil cooler.

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 08-30-2003, 08:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Could be the seals in the turbo also.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 08-30-2003, 09:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

any tips of diagnosing? I told one guy I's let it go for 4500
Old 08-30-2003, 10:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Where are you?

As for diagnosing I vote for oil cooler seals. If the head gasket was blown you would have other problems, like erattic coolat temperatures, prematurely failing O2 sensors, white smoke from the exhaust, and so on.
Old 08-31-2003, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I am in Utah. Well the coolant neede does fluctuate, but no smoke from exhaust. I would still let it go for that much... would a compression test show a blown head gasket? I know sometimes if the hole in the gasket is small enough...you can't pick it up, but at the rate the coolant drains...I would think it would have to be a huge hole. Plus it idles way smooth. Anything i can do to make sure it is the oil cooler seals?
Thanks for the help guys
Old 08-31-2003, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

oh ya...the needle only fluctuates once there isn't much coolant in there, but when it is full...it just passes the 2nd mark...a bit under halfway ( I would think that is normal temp...it is for almost every other car)
Old 08-31-2003, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

ttt
Old 08-31-2003, 09:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
These radiator repair guys should have a gizmo they screw onto the radiator cap or the expansion bottle. These indicate if you are getting combustion gases escaping into the cooling system.Also the pressure in the cooling system will be higher than normal. With a radiator with a cap you can usually fill the radiator to overflowing,rev the engine and see if bubbles are coming out the cap opening (cap off), but that is not possible with the expansion bottle. The cylinder compression test will give you an idea but that could also be passing valves lowering the compression on one or more cylinders.If you are loosing coolant my bet is a blown gasket unless the expansion bottle cap is faulty.
Old 09-01-2003, 03:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Stilov
I have seen gasket sets on ebay reasonably priced.

In the land of the funny underwear!!!

Last edited by Kingsspot1; 09-01-2003 at 06:01 AM..
Old 09-01-2003, 05:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

bottom line no matter what's causing the problem. get it fixed asap as coolant will wreak havoc on an engine
Old 09-01-2003, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I don't drive it. I just want to sell it I think. Not even fix it...sell it as is.
Old 09-01-2003, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Where are you located, and what is your asking price?
Old 09-01-2003, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Utah...4500
Old 09-02-2003, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Tell us more about this car. What colors, and options and such.
Thanks
Old 09-03-2003, 01:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

87 951 59.5k miles, recaro leather front seats, x-drilled rotors up front, new brakes, all new vacuum hoses, new intake hoses, new TPS, new fan switch, new thermostat, new battery and alternator. JVC CD, Blau 4x6's and Pioneer 6x9's. It is guards red, black interior, hatch release, sunroof, and cruise control work. Koni adjustables, dual coil springs up front, I believe it's lowered. Manual boost control, cone filter. That's about it...as far as options I believe it has all the normal stuff for the 87...airbags, etc.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Is the car still for sale?

MODS: ENGINE: Firebraid 9mm plugwires. Weltmeister Throttle Cam, Dansk exhaust. lo-temp thermostat & fan switch, aluminum radiator. SUSPENSION: H&R 250lb springs, KYB GR-2 struts(front) Bilstien Shocks(rear), Racing Dynamics strut bar, APPEARANCE: 15" Phone Dial wheels, a-pillar w/ VDO H2O and volts gauges.

1987 944-S Montego Black
-needs your help
Old 12-05-2004, 09:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: