Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to ds475
overheating

recently i noticed my radiator fans no longer run after i turn off the engine, and i don't believe they even run at all when the engine's running. it just happened today, and i was wondering if there is a common problem with radiator fans? or what should i try?
Old 08-31-2003, 10:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
Bad thermo fans switch if they dont come one at all. what happens when you turn the ac on? do they come on?

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 08-31-2003, 11:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Bridge your temperature switch on the radiator and see if fan runs. If I recall right, the aircon relay is in series in the same circuit so can prevent fan coming in if faulty. Put aircon on and see if that fan runs.My radiator fan kicks in about 2/3 on the temperature gauge.Also check the fuse in the circuit. Hopefully you have a manual to check the wiring circuit, but there is a wiring diagram in the technical forum. There has been quite a lot discussed on this subject in the forum.Do a topic search, something like cooling fans, and you should find a lot of useful information.
Old 08-31-2003, 11:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Cebu
There is a Fan Relay in the system ..(a bit pricey)..if neither fan is working check this relay in the Central fuse/relay box. If this is a recnt failure of both fans it is most likely the relay. The relay is primary for control of the fans after ignition is off
Old 09-01-2003, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

check the cooling fan and A/C fuses, #3&5 in the smaller fuse block.

"may the force be with you"
Old 09-01-2003, 11:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

thanks for the input, i'm going to go check that stuff right now
Old 09-01-2003, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

my fans NEVER come on, during or after the engine is running, i just tested it again, which relay is the radiator fan relay?
Old 09-01-2003, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Early or later 85?

Check Pelicans technical articals.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/944/944tech_articles.htm

Think www.frwilks.com has a diagram of the early fuse-relay block.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 09-01-2003, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

early 85, and i checked the relay by applying some voltage across the inductor part, and i can here the relay flip, so i'm assuming the relay is fine. for now, would it be alright to wire my radiator fans to the battery direct? they can handle that much amperage, correct? and, where can i find the thermo for the fans?
Old 09-01-2003, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
The fan will only draw the current it requires unless it is shorting.Test it for a few secs first before fitting a temporary connection. But dont drive around too long like this you know the expensive consequence. Did you bridge the switch to see if that was it?
Old 09-01-2003, 10:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

yea, i bridged the relay, still nothing
where is the thermostat for the radiator fans?
Old 09-02-2003, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Its in the radiator on the left under neath the top radiator hose.

83 NA Gaurds Red ( Home at last)
Holden/Opel Vectra 2002
Old 09-02-2003, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

have you (or a previous owner) ever replaced the fan relays in an attempt to fix the problem?

There's a bit of bad factory documentation out there. If the relays were ever replaced, it's likely that the wrong relays are in there, which causes the fans to not work at all.

Here's how to check:

pull the 1st and 3rd relays http://www.frwilk.com/early944/misc/relay.htm

Grab a flashlight, and count the copper contacts inside the 1st and 3rd sockets. The first socket should have 6 contacts, the correct relay part number is: 944.615.113.01 The 3rd socket should have 4 contacts. the proper relay part number for the 3rd position is 141.951.253B

The factory documentation has these relays switched. The reason i say count the contacts, is that it could have been a mid-model change in the early cars that i don't know about, and it's possible that this documentation is correct for someof the early cars.

Mike
Old 09-02-2003, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

i found out, that the reason i had two radiator fans, was because the guy had added one, and an inline fuse, to protect it, i guess, and the inline fuse holder melted, i guess from the hard night of driving or something, cause the fuse was not making a connection, because the contacts had pulled apart

long story short, i took the fuse out, cuz i didn't have another fuse holder, so i just stuck it together. FIXED!
Old 09-02-2003, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Think twice about bridging fuses.I am not sure if an extra fan was added as the cars have two fans when aircon fitted. If the fuse holder melted there is low resistance in that circuit so the fan could be faulty and drawing too much current or there is a wiring fault. With no fuse you could cook the wires supplying the fan and possibly set your car alight.
Old 09-03-2003, 11:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: