Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

944 In The Snow?

First let me say, I frequent the 911 Forum on a regular basis, but have not posted here before. In other words, bear with me for my ignorance. My question is: I am considering getting a 944 as a daily driver and plan to using it year round. How are they in the snow, I'm in Michigan? Anyone ever do this? If I do it, don't worry I won't ruin a show car, just a cheap driver? I know the 50/50 weight distribution will help. Opinions?

1971 911T: Sold
1973.5 911T: Sold
1983 928S: Sold
Old 09-04-2003, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Just had a brief experience in the snow when bringing my 944 home over the Donner Pass in April. Almost missed a small window when chains weren't required, but got through when the temps had warmed up some. Used standard tires (not snow tires) and there was plenty of snow and slush on the highway. I never felt any issues with stability of the car in these conditions, possibly due to the great f/r weight distribution in these vehicles.

They do seem kind of low-slung to perhaps deal well with a 'real' winter like the kind you get in Michigan, but I am sure there are guys in the mid-West and north-East who drive them year 'round.

Good luck,
Tom
Old 09-04-2003, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Custom User Title

I drove mine up in Utica NY this past winter on summer tires. I survived, and i would say with a real set of dedicated snow tires, these cars should be fine in all but the worst weather. Ground clearance could be an issue in deep snow.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to 944S Boyeee
They have heated mirrors....nuff said. These cars were built for winter, in my opinion.

I have a Suzuki Sidekick as my "winter car" and I drove the 944 in the snow last year a few times and it handles BETTER than the Sidekick (in two-wheel drive).

944S Boyeee
Old 09-04-2003, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

A 944 IMHO is not a great winter car, due to the tire width. My 356 would go any where and would not require a great deal of finesse. However, the 944 reqires a great deal of skill with the throtle, gear selection, steering and breaks. If you had narrower tires and they were all season or even better winter tires like Bridgestone I would think you would be in good shape.
I have been driving a 944 since 1983 in Denver Colorado, and I have not been stuck many times, but I do know the limits of the car and do plan ahead.
1987 944 NA 5 Speed Stone Grey
1987 944 S 5 Speed Triple Black
Old 09-04-2003, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

Send a message via AIM to Frank B
I use chains, and never have been stuck.. My car was buried under snow on a hill and I just punched it right out with the chains on.. it was cooler than my friends Bronco.. but as bumpy as Hell cause of the chains....

Frank B
Old 09-04-2003, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
Uhmmmmmmmm since we are in snow approximately 8 months out of the year..... I drive my 944 about 90% of the winter season....

The 944 is a descent winter car..... things to keep in mind........

- 3-4 inches snow max IMO.
- It is very stable, lacks torque (so its great for taking off)....nothing worse than being at a light and having your wheels spin/spin/spin/spin
- I run 255's in the rear M+S Proxes works just fine, forget about using summer tires.......
- the heating is great..........
- you can practice drifting in the snow .....its like drifting in slow motion, and the car drifts so nicely.

The only major downside is that these cars do not like -25 degree cold starts........ so forget about starting it with out a block heater...

It is not my first choice for the winter .........but then again I have 2 4x4's when things get really bad.

Good luck
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 09-04-2003, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
meister member

Garage
Install weltmeister lowering springs and reindex your torsion bars and you have a plow that is a fraction of the cost of a Western. (Just Kidding) The first day i owned my car I brought it home during the first snow of the year. I remember it being 2-3" and the car handled great. the weight distribution is great so you would be better off accelerating than most American rear wheeled drive cars. In real cold weather my cars starter turns real slow even with a big battery.
Favorite Road = www.tailofthedragon.com 318 turns in 11 miles (11 min 20 sec best run)
Old 09-04-2003, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to 85944na Send a message via AIM to 85944na
I drove mine for 3 Minnesota winters, no problems, this was when I was 16-19 years old. I drove it last winter without snows(had snows the other years) I thought it was just fine, but it did take a little work when the snow is deep.

Early 85 G-red 944na, S2 transmission, Ice Shark grounds, Cibie E-Code lights, turbo rear valance, 924S gauges, Turbo S full power seats, "Porsche" door handles, Enkei Wheels.
95 Infiniti G20 dark red metallic-for sale soon
87 BMW 325ic Bronzit, stock(for now)
Old 09-04-2003, 10:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to stray15
i went through 2 winters, one really bad one...i only got stuck once and then i was dumb and decided to give it more gas than i needed...
Old 09-05-2003, 04:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Living in chicago on the wisconsin border the winters get nast from the lake, I had the car for my first winter and it hadled better than any other sports car
Old 09-05-2003, 04:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Living in chicago on the wisconsin border the winters get nast from the lake, I had the car for my first winter and it hadled better than any other sports car I have ever owned.

It has an even weight distribution to make things better along with the breaks. Just buy alot of liquid fire for the back window in the mornings. The galvanized metal body is great too i am sure that the dot is salt freaks like in chicago, wash the under carriage in a good car wash weekly and you will never have corrosion or rust problems.

I have some pics but dont know how to put them in here

Later

jeff

Last edited by jlittlefield; 09-05-2003 at 05:02 AM..
Old 09-05-2003, 05:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Custom User Title

treu true- something a lot of people (including myself) forget is how nice it is to have a car that won't rust. I sold a 1995 Oldsmobile to buy my car. It was 9 years newer, and had pretty heavy rust on the part of the frame cradling the engine. And it was cared for quite religiously. That sucks.

Woo-hoo for galvanizing!
Old 09-05-2003, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
2 Maine winters without a problem. She is as good a daily driver in the snow as my wife's Subau (except for the ground clearance). The only reason I bought a truck is that I couldn't stand to see her undercarriage eaten away by the salt.
Old 09-05-2003, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
I drove an 87S a whole winter in Mt. Pleasant(central Michigan). It got around fine. Made the mistake of visiting friends in the country... mistake!!! I would say a 944 is OK for town driving.
Old 09-05-2003, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Feral Cat

About tires....

If you're not going to buy a set of dedicated snow tires, at least consider a set of performance tires that are also M&S (mud-and-snow) rated. The Dunlop SP5000 is one, Michelin makes another. Early on, I drove mine in the sleet on a set of the old Dunlop D40M2s and it was GREAT FUN with the 4-wheel drifts possible with the 50-50 weight distribution. Until I slid up sideways 6" behind the rear bumper of some suprised soul stopped at a "Yield" sign. I now have Yokohamas on the car and I don't try to drive it in the snow. Since it's silver-gray and the half-blind SUV drivers on their cell phones can't tell the difference between a little old Porsche and the asphalt road surface, I don't drive it in the rain either. I do occasionally (but shouldn't) drive it when the thermometer is above 90F. At any rate, I think your success at this will be highly dependent on the tires you choose for the car. Yes, the 944 has heated mirrors and also has heated washer nozzles, but I think most owners in the Fatherland usually switched to snow tires if they lived in a snow-prone area.
Old 09-06-2003, 04:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

should do o.k. if you have good tires. might have to make starts in second gear. that's what I had to do as the wheels would spin in first no matter how gentle I was with the throttle.
Old 09-07-2003, 08:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Thanks for all the input. Now I have to convince the wife that two Porsches in our household is a good thing!

1971 911T: Sold
1973.5 911T: Sold
1983 928S: Sold
Old 09-08-2003, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: