Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to Asazman
Safety of Porsche 944....?

Well, I am 17 years old and I am in the rhelm for my first car. I have been saving for a while (have had 4 jobs) and am working part time now, and have got over $1,500. Now, my parents said they would contribute $2,000 under a few conditions, but my next paycheck will be about $500 comming to $4,000. Now, I found a 1984 Porsche 944 in a local newspaper and it looks like a sweet deal. The timing belts were just replaced and so was the radiator, and only has 66,000 miles on it. It is cherry red and has a moon roof (BTW, is this different than a sun roof?), all for $4,000. The guy said it was garage kept and was babied. I am test driving it this saturday and I will get it looked over by a mechanic to make sure it checks out.

Ok now, my parents will only contribute that money given the fact that the car I get is safe (i.e. airbags). I am looking at another car, the 1995 Honda Prelude, which has 110,000 miles on it and needs a little work (weird noise in the back), for $4,500. My parents 100% approve of the Prelude, but frown upon the 944, now what I'd like to do is turn that frown upside down (heh).

There's also the matter of paying for repairs. From what I've heard, it costs about $300 per incident (which happens 2x every 6 months?). What I'd like to do is learn how to tweak/check the car out and maybe fix a few things. I am going to take some classes at a local community college and post in forums like this. Anyway, this will all come later.

Anyway, back to safety. I've heard nothing but good things about the safety of the 944, I've even read a few stories of people who completely totaled their 944 and walked away with only scratches. Now, I know government crash tests weren't being done in 1984 so that data would not be available, but were there any privatly held crash tests done for this car? Compared to the modern day rating system, how many stars would it have?

Has anyone been in an accident in this car? How safe is it? How likely are you to walk away from totaling the car? Thanks everyone for your input!

Old 09-04-2003, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to TheCooler
From personal experiences from last tuesday when my 944 got tboned... its safe ...dont worry about the safety of the car. Read Some !@%# totalled my car. and look at the pictures.
-2007 Ford PIMP(free)star ...company car....
-1999.5 Jetta VR6
Old 09-04-2003, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by TheCooler
From personal experiences from last tuesday when my 944 got tboned... its safe ...dont worry about the safety of the car. Read Some !@%# totalled my car. and look at the pictures.
Damn dude that sucks , at least you and your passenger are OK

Have you been in any accidents? do you have anything to compare it to? How bad really was the crash? He hit you dead on in the drivers side, huh? How fast was he going? Thanks for your input!
Old 09-04-2003, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
the safety of the 944 is sublime for an early-80s (well, actually late 70s) design. i had a minor accident; a telephone pole, damaging the fender, hood, and headlight. The hit 'bounced' my car back into the road, all the way to the leftmost lane. I barely felt the impact, the car absorbed the hit THAT much! That probably would have been physical therepy city if i had been driving a lesser car...
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 09-04-2003, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

The 924/944 body is very rigid, I am in the process of replacing both rear quarter panels on my 931, I was amazed at the amount of structural reinforcement that lies behind them slinky body panels. I have replaced quite a few rear quarters in the past on various models of vehicles, never have I seen so many boxed areas and triple layers of reinforcement sheet metal. I hope to never find out how it all works in a crash, but I think its pretty safe for 20+ year old design.
And a whole bunch of German scrap metal shaped like 924's.

Old enough to know better, and stupid enough to do it anyway!
Old 09-04-2003, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for your valuable input!

Is there any hard data that I could manafest? Sure you can look at pictures and talk to people who have been in an accident with them, but that doesn't compare to hard data. What type of data could best assist me in such a predicament?
Old 09-04-2003, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I flipped an '84 at nearly 90mph. Got a small cut on my arm, no stitches needed, and a bump on the head from falling out of my seat when I released the seatbelt. (The car was upside down when finally came to a stop.) The front windshield stayed intact, while everyother piece of glass shattered into these chunky blocks of glass, not really small enough to pose too much of a problem. I would trust my life in the 944 over the prelude any day!

Good luck convincing the folks!

-Tony
Old 09-04-2003, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
ive slammed into a guard rail at bout 40mph at about a 45degree angle, killed the guard rail, bounced off and i drove home. i bent the sway bar and it needed to be aligned. besides that and the body damage the car is fine. i still drive it every day with a huge scar on it. (everything else is fine though)

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 09-04-2003, 09:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
It doesn't have airbags... Tell your parents that air bags are designed to help those who're not wearing their safety belts. The 944 is a pretty "safe" car in a crash, roll over whatever, but more so than all of that, you've got a better chanse of avoiding that accident. Does that not count for anybody anymore? A lot more stable, better brakes...
Ahmet
Old 09-04-2003, 09:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

airbags are supplemental restrants to reduce injuries in conjunction with belts. they aren't too effective if a belt isn't holding you in position.

that said, the 944's body is able to take heavy impacts and still isolate the occupants

Have your dad slam a door on a 944 shut, then the Honda. Just from that you should be able to make a strong arguement for porsche ownership.

944 also has much superior brakes and suspension with similar power to weight, so much to be said for accident avoidance

good luck
Old 09-04-2003, 10:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

The insurance will ot be too bad in price either. I am paying 1200 a year full coverage on my 84 944. It is a great car and I hope you the best and have fun with it just dont drive like a **** head and you wont get hurt. look out for number one because no one else will.

later

jeff
Old 09-05-2003, 03:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Thanks again!

From what I understand the Tranny is in the back and the engine is in the front for weight distribution purposes, I myself hate people who tailgate so I make a conscious effort not to follow too close, so I'm not planning on running this car under the H2 or something similar. Of course, accidents do happen, and especially because I'm only 17 years old, everyone has the tendancy not to value my opinion. Right down the road from us is a Christian private school that has a road that runs perpendicular to our street, now, I'd say that close to 90% of them are republicans, and the same percentage drive enormous SUVs like the Yukon Suburban Excursion and even the H2. Do they stop at the stop sign? Noo, they don't, and if I'm going around that courner and I get creamed with one of their gimungo resource hogs, I'm afraid of what may happen. Now it's not a matter of airbags or no airbags, but if a car of that magnitude runs over a tiny Porsche, what would happen?

I'm hearing of lots of people who have been in accidents and walked away, what about those who didn't walk away, has anyone here been seriously injured in an Accident with this or a similar car?
Old 09-05-2003, 04:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
What does being republican have anything to do with it or the way they drive???

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 09-05-2003, 04:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Dude, its the REPUBLICANS who are wasting all of our resources. And then they drive their Suburbans into our Porsches and give tax breaks to their rich buddies!

(SARCASM)
Old 09-05-2003, 05:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Oh, as for the moonroof, I've noticed people use the term interchangably with sunroof and until you see the car you won't know. Chances are vastly in favor of it being a sunroof. If it has a glass roof and it is factory, it is special.
Old 09-05-2003, 05:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Asazman
Thanks again!

I'd say that close to 90% of them are republicans, and if I'm going around that courner and I get creamed with one of their gimungo resource hogs,

Well, if one of them Republicans in their resource hog uses you as a speed bump, dont worry I bet their insured.

BTW, my resource hog gets better fuel economy than my Toyota p/u or my Eagle Talon.

Uh-oh another political debate thread, remember the "what do you think and feel thread"?.......
And a whole bunch of German scrap metal shaped like 924's.

Old enough to know better, and stupid enough to do it anyway!
Old 09-05-2003, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Oh dear god, I think I may have started something awful here. I used the term Republican in a rather derogatory term there just because I go to a private school in a "privledged" community. I, myself, am not privledged compared to the rest of my classmates. All I'm saying is that the Republicans over here have enormous cars, and lots of money. I drive up with my 1999 Ford Ranger and park next to a 2003 Mustang an Infiniti convertable and a WRX. I mean, these parents sometimes live about 4 miles away from school but pick up their ONE KID with a FORD EXCURSION! I mean holy crap, talk about overkill. Not only this, but the soccer mom population is growing out of control!

The school I go to is different than the one that is right down my street, I do not go to a christian school. All I'm saying is that I've come close to getting creamed by enormous cars way too many times by those people, and now I have started to think the worst of them.

"Those people" does not refer to replublicans/christians, only to the people who come out of that school. I'm sorry if I offended anyone and I shall refrain from making such comments in the future.
Old 09-05-2003, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

rammstein, ummm im republican and i drive a porsche that was run off the road by a DEMOCRAT driving a Lexus RX300... ummm.... i dont think our political affiliation has anything to do with the cars/trucks/anything else on wheels that we drive or how we drive them.

moonroof is a glass top, sunroof is a solid one --- i used to install moonroofs for Sun Auto Tops in FL

Old 09-05-2003, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Custom User Title

I dunno about not being priveleged. You are going to a private school, and drive a 4 year old pickup. Many people go to public school and walk (even in the snow, uphill both ways). Trust me dude, you're doing just fine. I walked to school in high school and saw people riding up in Benzes and whatnot. 9 years later, I know its because most of their parents were living under mountains of debt or committing fraud to pay for things they could not afford.

Also, not to continue a potentially disastrous posting... you know, I will use judgement and stop here.

Aside from the ranting, it DOES sound like you are trying to take care in the purchase of the 944, and its a decision that requires care. Take your own advice and get anything you are considering inspected. I don't know where you live, but you might want to ask around here about where a 944-familiar mechanic might be. Do a quick search about what to look out for.

And- don't try to turbocharge it. NOS and 944 are bad combo. Never inquire about alteezas or ram-air.
Old 09-05-2003, 06:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally posted by scheistermeiste
rammstein, ummm im republican and i drive a porsche that was run off the road by a DEMOCRAT driving a Lexus RX300... ummm.... i dont think our political affiliation has anything to do with the cars/trucks/anything else on wheels that we drive or how we drive them.
Hey dude- note the big capital lettered "SARCASM" at the bottom of my post concerning Republicans. Damn, if you missed it other people will too. I'll have to make it flash or something!

I was essentially making the same commentary. I don't believe for a second that political affiliation would have any appreciable impact on vehicle purchase. Certainly I don't believe anyone who claims otherwise has any proof besides their own heartfelt opinions on the matter.

Old 09-05-2003, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: