Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Post Value of 85.5

What would an 85.5 944 be worth? It is in very nice shape. Mint leather int., about 80,000 miles and nice looking paint. The fuchs need aesthetic attention and it has ugly tires but otherwise very nice. I have yet to talk to the owner but I would like to get a general idea of what its worth. Unfortunately I'm away fom home so I can't look it up in Excellence.

Any idea's would be appreciated.
Thanks

------------------
'76 911S

'80 924 M471

Old 05-21-2001, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
4,500-5,000 bucks, buts thats if the timing belt was changed.
Old 05-21-2001, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Kelly Blus Book lists it at $5,325 bucks. Thats a fully recoditioned vehicle though
Old 05-21-2001, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Banned

an 85.5, without records, in good VISUAL condition but needing some attention... $3,500 to $4,500

things I consider when looking at a price...
records, even something about the latest oil change
degree of original content
central locking
pwr mirrors
clutch condition
leather and carpet
Dash -> crack, cap or rug
stereo -> stock, CD, AMP etc...

85.5 what does the "low" blue book say
Old 05-21-2001, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Talking

Porschby,
NADA Price guide lists it as follows.

LOW--- $4,450
Average-$5,250
high----$6,825
Old 05-21-2001, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I apyed $4,000, but mine was recked and the front spoiler needed put on and the front needed painted. I also found out the speedo stopped after the reck, and the outer door handles didnt work. I think I should have gotten him to go down in price. The car besides that was mint, the interoir was excellent and the engine is strong, the exterior was beautiful(was painted about a year before i bought it), so I didnt complain. The only problem is that the "small things" CAN add up, the final repairs after i bought the car were almost $1,500 dollars. So in essence I paid $5,500 bucks. Dont be afraid to point out a cars inperfections, you may talk them down a bit.
Old 05-21-2001, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
those nada prices seem a bit high. i regularly see 85.5 & 86's here in san jose list for $3000-$4500. of course, condition & maintanence are big factors.

Old 05-21-2001, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Banned

I guess its all in the way you view the books... The books have no concern for records, the timming belt or the passionat pull you feel when ya see a 944 at sunset, the soft orange glow highlighting the body's curves... OK, I'm having a emotional moment now...

Like Blackfoot has suggested, the book values are a bit high. For me, a better value test would be to look at several sources and then average things out. When looking at the price guide books, I refer only to the trade in value. The resale value gives a "suggested", retail range but the trade value is it's true estimated physical value. With this in mind, I ran a kelly blue book and placed the car in the "Good" condition category, here is the result.

1985 Porsche 944 1985.5 Coupe 2D
Engine: 4-Cyl. 2.5 Liter
Trans: 5 Speed Manual
Drive: Rear Wheel Drive
Mileage: 88,000

Equipment
Air Conditioning
Power Steering
Power Windows
AM/FM Stereo Cassette (?)
Leather
Flip-Up Roof (?)
Alloy Wheels

Consumer Rated Condition: Good
"Good" condition means that the vehicle is free of any major defects. The paint, body and interior have only minor (if any) blemishes, and there are no major mechanical problems. In states where rust is a problem, this should be very minimal, and a deduction should be made to correct it. The tires match and have substantial tread wear left. A clean title history is assumed. A "good" vehicle will need some reconditioning to be sold at retail; however major reconditioning should be deducted from the value. Most recent model cars owned by consumers fall into this category.

Trade-In Value $2,870
Trade-in value represents what you might expect to receive from a dealer for this consumer owned vehicle. Keep in mind that the dealer must then absorb the cost of making the vehicle ready for sale, advertising, sales commissions, arranging financing and insurance and standing behind the vehicle for any mechanical or safety problems.

Just to be fair, here is the result with Consumer Rated Condition: Excellent $3,205

[This message has been edited by p0r2chby (edited 05-21-2001).]
Old 05-21-2001, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
In the April, 2001 issue of Excellence magazine, the values for a 85.5 944 are:

Poor: $3959.00
Good: $4494.00
Excellent: $6016.00

These prices are a little higher than KBB, but inline with NADA. I believe what Bruce Anderson says in Excellence is a good STARTING point for a car's value.

The true value of any car is: what a person is willing to pay for it! I have been looking at 85.5 and up 8V 944's since January, and those that were priced under $4k were basically junk. (Clutch hub shot, gas tank leaking, interior shot, gasket leaks...etc.) So be leary of 944's selling for cheap: you may wind up spending more than it's worth to fix it! Also: definately do a pre-purchase inspection at a mechanic you trust. It's worth it!

Just my $0.42
-Zoltan.
Old 05-21-2001, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Banned

... the same exact car, in a east/west market comparison will have a different value.

[This message has been edited by p0r2chby (edited 05-21-2001).]

Old 05-21-2001, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: