Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Post Strange noise after starting car

This is on my '84 944:

I turn the key to start the car and it starts fine. I release the key (back to the on position) and I hear a wirring noise (doesn't sound like the starter by the way). The noise continues (very steady in pitch, not ocellating) and then stops after 10 seconds. It did that for a few times, and then the sound stays there for 30 seconds now.

Any Ideas? Timing belt? Rollers?

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-21-2001, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Petie3rd

Send a message via Yahoo to Mrmerlin
[QUOTE]Originally posted by turtle944:

Hi turtle, hey if your shure it is not the starter you can prove it by push starting the car on a hill.. if it still makes this noise then it might be a roller in the belts going bad have you done any engine cleaning latley?? if so then water might have gotten into the roller or if you have done extensive cleaning then water may have gotten into the throwout bearing in the clutch.water will get in at the speed sensors and rinse down into the clutch and starter..... I hope it is not this as it will require you to replace the TOB and clutch since it is apart........Stan
Old 05-21-2001, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

it could be fuel pump??
Old 05-21-2001, 09:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Leave the car sitting overnight. Then, turn the ignition switch on, without starting the car. If the noise appears for a second or two, then disappears as the fuel system pressurizes, the fuel pump is the source of the noise.

Old 05-21-2001, 10:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: