Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Red face Blackfoot - We may have very rare cars

At this rate Blackfoot and I are going to have the only 951s left! Please stop wrecking your cars everybody (I need to slow down myself also i admit). Take a step back and appreciate your car just standing still. If you must go fast try and upgrade your suspension first (my experience).

These are great cars so please take it easy and preserve them for yourselves. I think one day the 951 will be a collectable car if for nothing else than its potential power output and handling capabilities. I'm sorry to hear of ribs and todd951 wrapping their cars up. It could of and probably should of happened to a lot of us already. Guys I'm sure you'll appreciate the cars much more after they have been fixed or when you get another. Good luck to both of you...Knock on Wood...

Erick

Old 05-21-2001, 12:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I am completely blown. My running total in my head is somewhere around $3500, not to mention things I may have not accounted for. If they do total the car, I should be able to buy it back for cheap and take it apart, and keep all of the goodies. It has a strong motor with 102k on it, and some other stuff. What do you think I could get for the motor? Transmission? Brakes? Remaining non molested body panels? 3 Mille Miglia cup 2 17" replica wheels? Everyone always talks about how important strong wheels are, but in my situation, I may be fortunate that the wheel bent up like aluminum foil, because it may have saved a lot of damage to the rest of the car. In some ways I hope it is not totaled, in other ways I do. I just don't know at this point. I am waiting for my insurance agent to call me back. If they do take this car and delcare it a total loss, I will definitely have to get me another 951 (or maybe an rx-7 twin turbo...I have always liked them and told myself if I ever totaled this car, I would get me one of those)...I just may have to wait a few months to settle my bills with this one. Blown. Looks like my I will have to hang on to my all-trac for a while so I can still autocross and drive around. Thanks for the condolences, though. If I were driving, it would have never happened, but I would have never been driving because I was extremely lit up, and that is why I had a designated driver driving, which was a mistake. Any designated drivers from now on are driving their own cars. I think I will quit drinking for a little while. Sunday was one of the worst hangovers I have ever had...and most of it was because of how depressed I was about my car. Not to mention I would have felt a little better if it was pretty today, but it is dark and rainy, kind of like my life.

------------------
ribs, 86' 951
Old 05-21-2001, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Talking

Hey, don't forget about me!
Old 05-21-2001, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I still have my 86 951.
Thom
Old 05-21-2001, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
newb.

ribs- are those remaining 3 wheels straight? I need 2, and would probably make you oan offer on the three. (You should keep the mangled one as a souvenir, or I can make a table out of it for you...)
Old 05-21-2001, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
the important thing is that everyone is alright. cars are bits of metal that can be replaced.

you can have an even better 951 if you really want to fix it. or you could go the rx-7 route. as i had a 3rd gen rx-7, i can say they're very fun cars, and have a great feel to them. the steering is the most precise of any car i've driven. they are also not built as solidly as a 951, break more often, and are more costly to own than a 951. so if you have deep pockets and want a change, the rx-7 will work. but just don't expect the build quality to be as good.

yeah erick, the only good thing about people wrecking their 951's is that the cars become more rare, and 951 values go up!

Old 05-21-2001, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

blackfoot, glad to hear you speak higher of the 951 than the rx7, finally. oh yeah, i dont know if you remember or not but the dabate we had about intake air a year or so ago on excite, you were right, i was wrong. :^)
Old 05-21-2001, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Hey Wolf...I still have mine, too!...I have fun, but stay well within the my limits...I try to save it for autocross events...You just can't help it, though..These cars just begg for you to push em!!!......Everyone stay safe....Cus
Old 05-21-2001, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
yeah, even if the rx-7 was same price as a 951, i would still choose 951. i don't remember talking about intake...refresh my memory...

Old 05-21-2001, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Forgot me too! 87' 951
Old 05-21-2001, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Cool

Still got mine. Drove it a bit in the NC mountains like it was meant to be driven. Not many other sports cars quite like it.

Dave951M
Old 05-21-2001, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

actually rx7tt's can be had real cheap here now. there is one in the auto trader for $8k and a couple for $10k. all with reasonable mileage and good condition. i had stated that it did not matter the temp of the intake air as it would be cooled by the intercooler. that is untrue as the intercooler can only drop the temp by a certain amount so of course the temp of the intake air is relevant.
Old 05-21-2001, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
yeah, i do remember us talking about intake charge temp & underhood temps. you have a good memory.

a 3rd gen for $8k? wow, how the prices have fallen. in early 2000, when i got my 3rd gen, the average price here in the bay area for a '93 was $15-$17k! that means in 2 years or so they will cost about the same as a 951. amazing.

Old 05-21-2001, 10:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Rollins Send a message via AIM to Rollins
What years are 3rd gen?
Old 05-21-2001, 11:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
'93+
Old 05-21-2001, 11:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Cool

Mine's still going, albeit on a different continent.
'89 951

Old 05-22-2001, 04:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: