Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Post odometer

hi guy's, my odometer stops working after aprox. 40 mph at about this same time the speedometer gets bouncy till about 50mph..does this sound like it's in the speedo head?..if so how big of a job is this? it's an early 85 n/a..someone suggested that i take the head out and have it shipped backed to vdo..thanx

Old 05-21-2001, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
you can fix it yourself, i did mine. the hardest part was to remove the ring that seals the speedo together. i bet its the worm gear that walked out of the shaft. if you like i can explain the prosedure. let me know
Old 05-21-2001, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

yes, if you would mind .this little thing is annoying me and i need to fix it ....thanx
Old 05-21-2001, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Petie3rd

Send a message via Yahoo to Mrmerlin
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 944 haulenbutt:

Hi Hauler, hey to remove the ring that holds the speedo together I got a very fine file, jewlers and very carfully filed a cut into the ring to then remove the speedo head from the case and fix your innards... to put it back together i got some JB weld and epoxied the cut and taped the ring till it was dry then file the JB weld down and touch up with flat black paint..Stan
Old 05-21-2001, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

stan,do i have to take the dash apart first.am i removing the dash board or the instrument panel? probably a dumb question.ha. just so we're on the same page..does the speedo drop out or will i do this mounted??sorry i'm so nieve.
Old 05-21-2001, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Stan beat me to the reply i used a small flat tipped screwdriver and where the metal ring around the speedo is tucked i slowly and gently pryed around the ring to remove it from the speedo case. when you remove the ring you now should be able to access the speedo needle, gently pull the needle out and unscrew the faceplate to access the inside. before i go any further i recently rebuilt a spare speedo i have. if you like i can sell you my rebuilt one or repair yours if you feel that it is too delicate a procedure. let me know

[This message has been edited by asidrave (edited 05-21-2001).]
Old 05-21-2001, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Guys, are you referring to early or late model speedo's?....The ODO in my '87 951 crapped out recently, and I've curious as to if I could fix it myself or not.....Cus
Old 05-21-2001, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

asidrave,i think i would atempt it first if it looks complicated it's nice to now i have a back up plan (you).about getting to it?? what do i need to do to get it??it looks like i have to remove the dashboard??..thanks
Old 05-22-2001, 05:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
ok, first remove the steering wheel, remove signal and wiper stalks and ignition cover. next remove the 2 screws for the gauge housing. pull out the gauge housing to access the speedo cable and unscrew it, maybe a bit tough to get to. unplug the gauge harness, remember how they go back. its not hard to remove, good luck
Old 05-22-2001, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

thanks for the info. sounds like a saturday job,with my pal bud light..the things we do for our toy's...

Old 05-23-2001, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: