Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Post 84 944 AC question

Thanks to all for the thoughts on my 924S issues... I will get started on it this weekend.
My saga continues...
The 84 944 blows no cold air and needs freon recharged... I took it to the same shop, and they tell me that the "low end" is under a mount and they can't discharge it... Is that for real? All of the hoses seem to be in good order and the air fan control works fine... So what is the proper procedure to charge the system? Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 05-22-2001, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
It's true, but the compressor is only being held in by three bolts, you move the compressor a bit, then attach your discharge line, and evac. Same port for recharging. It's really very eaasy. I am suprised they won't do it.
Old 05-22-2001, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
good to know where the low end is. no one answered my question in another post its all good
Old 05-22-2001, 11:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
another question. i still have some r-12 in my system, not enough to blow cold air. can i fully vaccume it out and use r-134 without any problems?
Old 05-22-2001, 11:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
No, changes will have to be made to the system. Or more expensive repairs down the road will be required. You will need all new O-rings in the A/C system. They can be purchased at most autoparts stores, and are either green or blue in color. You will also need a new receiver/dryer unit. I converted mine for a total of $75. $20 conversion kit for O-rings, nipples, and ester oil. $13 for compressor seals. $20 for the new dryer. And three cans of 134A for $4.99. $9.97 for a vaccum pump.
Old 05-23-2001, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Asidrave, I'd stick with R12. Almost any air conditioning shop will still have it, but it will be expensive. Figure around $50-$60 a pound and your car takes about 2.5lb. It will cool better than 134a, and the a/c in these cars is already marginal.

You can buy R12 yourself for $30 per 12oz cans buy taking a very easy online course at www.epatest.com. It costs $20 and you'll get your epa 609 certification to buy regulated refrigerants. You can then get cans of R12 on ebay or at www.refrigerantsales.com.

Another avenue is trying alternative refrigerant like Autofrost or Freeze12, or even a propane hydrocarbon blend (EvirosafeHC12) like Lawrence C. does. These all work as well or better than R12. Hydrocarbons, though, are technically illegal unless you do a full R134a conversion and THEN convert to propane. Seems silly to me because you can just add the ester oil, charge 134a, put on the 134a service port fittings, then evacuate the 134a the next day and add your HC blend. There, you just converted to 134a and legally reconverted to HC blend. The epa says this is a "sham" retrofit, but how the hell do they prove that? I'd say I put in the 134a, the cooling stunk and I hated so wanted to try another refrigerant. That will meet federal regs, but a lot of states then ban HC blends outright like Wisconsin. New Jersey's not banned it yet as long as you do the bogus 134a retro first.

I'm using Autofrost, www.autofrost.com, and it works great and costs $10 per can. No oil changes are required and you just drop it right in. Technically, you're supposed to change your hoses to barrier hoses because the smaller R22 molecule in Autofrost can leak out thru the old hoses over time. Also supposed to screw unique fittings onto your service ports. Seems to me alot of folks don't do this and still have fine results with Autofrost. You still need the epa 609 cert to buy it, but like I said, that's easy to get.
Old 05-23-2001, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Whoops, that Autofrost link had a comma in it. Try this www.autofrost.com

Old 05-23-2001, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: