Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Post What Do You Think of Firestone Vs. Ford

Ford neatly omitted reference to recommending lowering tire pressures in tires in their conference yesterday. What do you think?

Old 05-23-2001, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I'd bet money it's a corporate cya job all the way around. I base this opinion on Ford's history with the Bronco. Remember the Suzuki Samurai? It's actually more stable than the Bronco. Ford just did a snow job on the public. Part of the plan, yes they planned this, was to pay off all of the parties who sued for death or injury and part of the settlement would be a gag order. This way, the news never really got out. Ford had actually built in the costs of litigation into the profit structure of this vehicle. This is why I take a very skeptical view of any of the Detroit bunch.

Dave951M
Old 05-23-2001, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to stray15
Thumbs up

I'm loving the recall, brings in a lot of tire business to my job.

------------------
Porsche, Through and through
Tim
'83 944

http://community.webshots.com/user/strayer15
Old 05-23-2001, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Ford and Firestone should have to stand trial for murder. CNN was reporting today that no other single auto defect is responsible for more deaths than this one. I have never owned a Ford, but I sure as hell would not buy one now. Who knows what else they are hiding.
Old 05-23-2001, 10:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Didn't the Ford Pinto or something have substandard design? In a crash the shoddy fuel cell ruptured and in most cases burned the occupants to death???

[This message has been edited by mAd924 (edited 05-24-2001).]
Old 05-24-2001, 03:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Thumbs up

I just bought a set of Firestones for my 924. I've got them on my Saturns too. I've purchased 4 sets of them over the years and the Chevy Berretta I had out of school came with them from the factory. I also put them on the city buses I work on. They are a GREAT tire. But, you have to INFLATE the damn things!

------------------
Dan, '78 Pearl white 924
Old 05-24-2001, 05:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I think Ford is to blame for telling owners to inflate to lower than reccommended by Firestone. Funny how you don't hear about General Motors suv's with Firestones having problems.

John

Old 05-24-2001, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: