Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Post DME adjustments

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have installed a preformance chip and K/N and throttle cam. Not too impressed with gains! Should I change a setting to the DME for more fuel or something? Will this help me?

Old 05-23-2001, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Banned

the "throttle cam" will give you no performance gain. In fact, the only change you will notice is a drop in gas mileage.

The filter and chip are a good start. Most things I have heard regarding chips on NA cars is that little in any performance is realized without other efforts. Things like better spark plugs etc. Are you running the Bosche plus 4's. Is your ignition system in good condition.

I guess what I am trying to say is that before messing around with the DME, I'd try some more converntional performance tricks.

plugs, better wires, new cap and rotor, hot coil etc.
Old 05-23-2001, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Banned

... double hit on mouse button, sorry guys

[This message has been edited by p0r2chby (edited 05-23-2001).]
Old 05-23-2001, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
how much did those items end up costing?

Old 05-23-2001, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Bought the chip off of Wolfpri for $80, K&N from vertex for $39 and Throttle cam from Performance products for $25.60
Old 05-23-2001, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
at least you didn't shell out a bunch. you got the chip from wolfrpi? no wonder! :-) just kidding.

hey, even if you got 5 hp from $150, you're doing okay. i mean, people are shelling out $700 for performance exhausts that do barely better.

[This message has been edited by Blackfoot (edited 05-23-2001).]
Old 05-23-2001, 11:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Arrow

Try plug wires and plugs (+rotor and cap). I like Magnecore wires and bosch platinum plugs. If this doesn't work, your only alternative may be to buy a 951.

Erick
Old 05-23-2001, 11:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Banned

the best alternative is to go 951
Old 05-23-2001, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Sure...don't get me wrong I notice a small improvement, but I was hoping for more! Isn't that OK? I have installed magnecore wires and just the factory NGK's. I am considering trying the Bosch +4's are they a waste?

Anyone gonna comment about the DME adjustments or is this a bad idea?

Also, Erick did you notice much of a gain with the chip in your car?

Thanks,

Jason
Old 05-23-2001, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Banned

Jason,,, the bosche +4's are a very good investment. Sorry to be on the 951 bandwagon

It's ok that you have gotten only a small improvement. You may have actually loss some of the potential gain with the throttle cam in place. As far as performance gains. It seems like you changed several items at once so its kinda hard to narrow things down as to what work's and what does not.

Are you able to get a dyno reading done or are you doing a "sop" test (seat of pants)

Try comparing the car with and without the throttle cam.

DME.. IMOP, it's too early to consider cracking the box. Do the plugs, cap coil and wires first... Need to be able to get a good spark before you introduce more fuel
Old 05-23-2001, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
I put Bosch +4's in my 84 and I got no noticable difference. I think that $2 Bosch platinums are as good as $5 +4's.
Old 05-24-2001, 11:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Bay Area Patriot

Platinum +4s aren't supposed to increase your power. They more like mellow your engine down and make it more economical. Next to the common copper plug, platinum is lower in conductivity which means you will burn less fuel and have less performance. If you want spark go with Beru Silverstones. They use silver to get a big spark and has over a 150% conductivity over the conventional copper plug.

I'm runnin' Silverstones in my car right now and have noticed a big improvement in efficiency and performance.

------------------
Porsche. Es gibt keinen Ersatz.
Old 05-25-2001, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Banned

We put the +4's in our 86na. The car had a very slight stumble, was down on performance and was not getting very good mileage. The new plugs gave me a better, more stable idle, allowed a smoother rev and helped put the gas mileage back into the 28 range. My point with the plugs and it goes for any plugs, is that it allows for a better burn of the fuel already present.

If you do go for a DME adjustment, you will need to be able to light the fire, good plugs and other ignition components allow you to maximise the benefits.

Old 05-25-2001, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: