Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Question Antifreeze Leak

I have had my 1983 944 for 9 months with NO problems whatsoever. Well, there is a first time for everything. My 944 has 109,000 miles and here is what happened. My wife and I are moving. I was letting the 944 warm up like I always do. My wife spent my car wash quarters on cheesburgers from McDonalds so I made her "wash" the dust off of my car. She went out and dumped a bucket of water over the top of the car while it was running. This may or may not have done anything but now there is an antifreeze leak. The leak seems to be coming from directly underneath the overflow bottle. The car was idling for a little long and when I got in to drive it to our new home, I noticed that it was running a little hot. The leak is not massive but is very noticeable. Before I take it in to get looked at, I was wondering if there are any thoughts out there. I will check this post tommorow to see if there are any questions. Thanks so much for your infinite wisdom on the Porsche 944!

Old 05-26-2001, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
did your fan come on. if so at what temp did it come on. i noticed my 944 doesnt like idle too much. the fan comes on often at idle but doesnt overheat.
Old 05-27-2001, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I do believe the fan came on. I am going to buy a new temperature switch before I drive it anywhere. I was just wondering if the problem could be associated with something worse. Where should the anitfreeze come to on the overflow bottle when the car is cold? Hot? Recommended antifreeze? Thanks!
Old 05-27-2001, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
Your expansion (overlflow) tank is probably letting some antifreeze out, since the car ran hotter than it normally does (or since antifreeze was changed/added for the last time). Also, sometimes the spring in the cap of the overflow tank looses some of it's strength, and doesn't hold much pressure in the system. (With the same results)
Ahmet

------------------
It's all the driver...

Old 05-27-2001, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: