Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Post Oil filterrelocation

I have an 87 944S and was wondering if anyone here has relocated thier oil filter and if so what kit did they use? Not sure why Porsche felt it was necessary to mount the thing how they did....seems like its gonna get messy!!!

Gipper

Old 05-20-2001, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

you can just install a canton mecca oil filter. it goes in the original position but you open it from the top and remove the replaceable cartridge. or you can just pop a hole in the factory one with a philips before you remove it and the oil will drain out if it.
Old 05-21-2001, 03:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Just put a plastic funnel up under it and attach a hose that drains the spill into your oil catch pan. I never spill a drop this way.
Old 05-22-2001, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

what i meant with the hole punching but did not specify is that the oil will drain out of the filter and into the engine before you remove it.
Old 05-22-2001, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

the punching the hole thing did NOT work for me...
Carter - have you ACTUALLY done the Canton filter conversion? I want to talk to someone who has. I've asked about this before and gotten no response...
Old 05-22-2001, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

yes. it is part of our accusump kit. you do not need an accusump to use it however. it is a really nice unit. i am ordering some this week if you want one.
Old 05-22-2001, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Carter-

Where do you relocate the oil filter in the 951 to and where would the accusump go? It's pretty tight in there.

Dave951M
Old 05-22-2001, 07:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

it actually does not relocate. it just has a removable top and a drop-in filter. the accusump goes in the wheel well.
Old 05-22-2001, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
newb.

so how much for the filter? 100.?

and can you give us a description of how one uses the Accusump?
Old 05-23-2001, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

yes, the filter is $100. the accusump when wired correctly with an electric solenoid will make oil pressure when the key is turned to the ignition position. so therefore there will be oil pressure before you start the car and it will not loose pressure even under extreme forces that cause the oil to slosh in the pan.
Old 05-23-2001, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Where do get the Canton filter and replacement catridges?
Old 05-24-2001, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
newb.

How much is the Accusump? how much weight does it add to the car?
AND,
How much is the package price?

Where is your shop?
Old 05-24-2001, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

the bolt-on kit is $750.it really does not add much weight to speak of as it is all aluminum. the bulk of the weight would be the 3 extra quarts of oil. you order the filters. they are only $10 a piece and need to be changed much less frequently the normal filters. they also offer a much greater filtering capacity. i cannot think of the specs off the top of my head but i have them around somewhere.
Old 05-24-2001, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

this is the canton filter. the line coming out of it is for the accusump

Old 05-27-2001, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

this is the accusump

Old 05-27-2001, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Looks like a good install, just a couple of questions. 1- Does the plastic wheel well cover go back on? I can see road crap coming up off the tires and puncturing a line or pinholing the cylinder. 2- If not, how do you protect it from road crap. 3- Where does the line route from the cylinder? Is there any drilling or fabrication to installing this?

It looks pretty good overall, it's just that I've seen some of the darndest things happen to foul up an otherwise great plan.

Dave951M
Old 05-27-2001, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

yes the wheel liner does go back on to protect it. on early cars without the liner i would reccommend fitting a wheel well liner to protect it. there is no fabricating involved at all. the only thing out of the ordinary needed is a right angle drill to drill the holes that mount the straps. one of these can be rented very cheap however. the car in the picture has had the accusump mounted there for 5 years absolutely trouble free. it has even been off track in the gravel :-)
Old 05-27-2001, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Where can you buy just the filter and replacement cartridges?
Old 05-28-2001, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Another question- does this help at all with the notorious #2 rod bearing oil starvation problem? I haven't found any conclusive answers to what causes it in the 944 series, the 928 guys have redrilled the oil passages in the crank to stop it. Is this a bandaid fix for that problem or has it been race proven? Not a rampant skeptic, just very curious and willing to prevent a major catastrophy from occuring.

Dave951M
Old 05-28-2001, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

we sell the filter and inserts seperately if so desired. yes, this does prevent rod bearing failure. it has been race tested by us and many, many others.it is caused by the pickup going dry when the oil sloshes in the pan. the accusump cures this because it has an oil reserve that is forced by air and not subject to any outside forces. which means even if the pickup goes dry you will have oil pressure. even if you go upside down, you will have oil pressure. drilling out all the passages in the world wont help if there is no oil at the pickup to be "picked up".

Old 05-28-2001, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: