Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via ICQ to Rollins Send a message via AIM to Rollins
Post 944 S...

K guys my search for a 944 continues. I am going to look at a 951 tomorrow. A few months ago I posted a thing about a 944S for sale near me. It's an 87 with 137k miles 134 ac ugly chrome rims, all the options everything works etc etc. The seller called me back today (I never returned his call a few months back, I let it slide to give him the idea I wasn;t interested) to tell me he still had it and that he lowered the price to 5 grand. What do you guys think?? The 951 (I think I posted about it earlier) is a maroon red one with 105k on it and is all around decent. I don't know how recent all it's parts are but I know the seller, he is asking 6000. What you guys think??

Old 05-28-2001, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
If you don't work on the car yourself, I'd suggest not going for the turbo, but only if power is not a major issue. The cars are much harder to work on, more expensive to insure, and can be trickier than a naturally aspirated 944 to drive. But again, that's only if you're not looking to get extra power out of the car.

The S on the other hand, has a fragile head, and I've heard of the chain going on many cars now. If it's a nice example, sure but make sure you stay on top of the maintenance.

The 944S is a lot more tunable compared to an 8v non turbo model, as it's already got higher compression, 16 valve heads, higher flow cat, better exaust (headers+other piping), better intake, higher capacity injectors, more sophisticated engine electronics, and won't be hurt at all by low octane gas, should you decide to use that when gas prices go through the roof (not that the 944 turbo necessarily will, but the S is a little better protected).

Your decision, but good luck.
Ahmet
Old 05-28-2001, 09:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Rollins:
The 951 (I think I posted about it earlier) is a maroon red one with 105k on it and is all around decent. I don't know how recent all it's parts are but I know the seller, he is asking 6000.
it's a good price and the mileage is actually kinda low, at least for here in calif it would be. what's specifically wrong with it that you would call it's condition "decent"?

Old 05-28-2001, 09:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Rollins Send a message via AIM to Rollins
I've seen the 951 from a few feet, not really close to it (like 10 feet away). It's paint looks really good and there were no visible dents or anything from that distance. A mechanic owns it, he sells a lot of 944's and older Porsches. He cleans them up nice and fixes stuff that needs to be fixed (and offers a warranty on all the stuff he has done). All in all it looks nice. When I said decent I didn't mean it in a bad way. Just that the car looks like an overall good deal. Hopefully I will get a chance to see it tomorrow. If not then definitely on Wednesday.
-Tim

[This message has been edited by Rollins (edited 05-28-2001).]

Old 05-28-2001, 10:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: