Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

new mods to 951s

Hey guys just got the parts all put on this weekend. The new k27, mass air and the clutch, and a new syncro for second gear. there was some lag time in the process so I had some vacuum line routing problems. Still not quite pleased with the lower end though. The car makes a chirping sound when you let off the throttle. ? pop off valve ? Still looking for ways to help the lower end. Set up, tuning, etc...

Old 05-28-2001, 05:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Check to see when you are getting max boost. Hit it hard in 4th and see when max boost hits. With a K27/6 I would hope that you'd get it by 3000 rpm. If not, sounds like a boost controller/wastegate issue - what are you using?

Erick
Old 05-29-2001, 01:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Its a K27 with the #8 hot side, the mass air is from Autothority with soft ware from them and the factory setup. They say the chirpping is the pop off valve in the control system under the intake that releases the control pressure when the turbo comes off boost. Sucking air back into the timming valve. Makes senses to me??? I know the waste gate is week but it should still build pressure faster than it is. Will get some help and do some timing and record some data within the next few days. Hits max boost just before 4000 rpm right now, need to get better air/fuel ratio and (rich) and check the vaccum lines again.

Thanks Eric,
Old 05-29-2001, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Just checked out full boost in fourth gear. It only takes a couple of seconds to hit full boost, and this was done at 60mph in fourth gear. Fourth at 60mph is just right at 3000rpm and it hit full boost right around 3700rpm, I guess that dont seem to bad??? The air/fuel ratio still may be to rich, loads the exuast up and pops when shifting under hard acceleration, some black smoke also.
Old 05-29-2001, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

boost controller/wastegate?
Old 05-29-2001, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

The control is still just like it came from the factory. (wastegate)
Old 05-29-2001, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Stock boost control is part of the problem unless you have an LBE. Plus the wastegate is probably toast ( i thought mine was fine and I was just losing power because of another problem - turned out to be the wastegate). Also, you better have at least 3bar of fuel pressure at idle w/the vacum line disconnected if you still have stock injectors.

Erick
Old 05-29-2001, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Erick-

I was wondering about my wastegate. How did you determine it was bad?

-g
Old 05-29-2001, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

From what I've heard - they're all pretty much bad if the car has something like over 60k on it. I determined it was bad when I started loosing boost. I thought it was an ignition problem but it turned out to be the wastegate. If you have a boost controller and you are loosing boost on the top end its likely that the wastegate is toast.

Erick
Old 05-29-2001, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Arrow

To put it another way, after a week of driving the car with the LR wastegate, the clutch (stock with about 11k) was shot. If you still have a stock clutch, you're probably not making enough power! With that said, my stock clutch was good up to at least 293lb-ft of tq to the rear wheels.

Erick
Old 05-29-2001, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Going to check the fuel pressure when I get off work in the morning. Yea, I agree the waste gate is probably toast. Ill see what I can do about that soon. No more funds after all the other stuff. Also going to check the ref, and timing sensors to make sure they are functioning correctly, O-scope.

Old 05-29-2001, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: