Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Post why would head gasket go?

What else could have caused a head gasket to go, if it didn't overheat?

Old 05-25-2001, 06:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Cool

I don't think there is any other but if you had used NOS system.

------------------
PORSCHE There is no Substitute!
Old 05-25-2001, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

if the head was warped, or distrted bad, it would blow as soon as you get spark in the engine.
Old 05-25-2001, 09:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Head bolts loosening or stretching. Detonation.

add on edit
hydro locking

[This message has been edited by kaffine krazed (edited 05-25-2001).]
Old 05-25-2001, 11:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
So pretty much if the head went then that means something serious went on right?so i should be careful with the car i'm going to see in like 2 hours
Old 05-26-2001, 04:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

If any of the above reasons were why the head gasket let go, before buying this car, I'd contact whoever did the work and find out how it was repaired. If all they did was to slap another gasket on it, the root cause may still be there. In addition, to do a head gasket on these cars, the timing belt has to come off as well. Did the wrench do that correctly as well? I think you should be very careful with this one or even walk away and find another. Mileage is not so much a problem with these as it is with other cars. Just take your time and get a good one.

Dave951M
Old 05-26-2001, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

When I installed the new head and headgasket on my 951, the instructions from PowerHaus were emphatic about making sure the block surfaces were completely clean. I spent a day on it- carefully scraping with a gasket scraper until every last scrap of residue was removed. That was 3 years and 25 track events ago.
Old 05-27-2001, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Before you just throw another gasket at it, take the entire head down to a machine shop and have it X-rayed for inperfections, then they will tell you how to go from there. Mine had a slight imperfection on one side, the machine shop planed it and it's been great ever since!
Old 05-27-2001, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
Before you just throw another gasket at it, take the entire head down to a machine shop and have it X-rayed for inperfections, then they will tell you how to go from there. Mine had a slight imperfection on one side, the machine shop planed it and it's been great ever since!
Scott, I think you mean presser test the head. I had that done to see if the head was crack. I just remember something, maybe the person who did the head job didn't torque the head down correctly. Over or under tighten leak the head gasket.

------------------
Old 05-27-2001, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
No really, have it X-rayed! It will show flaws, cracks and inperfections in the casting. Why pressure test if if you already know that you have to take it off anyway? The head as stated in the above post may be warped, causing it not to seal correctly. Having it checked out all the way is about the only way to make sure on all levels that the head is good.
Old 05-27-2001, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
No really, have it X-rayed! It will show flaws, cracks and inperfections in the casting. Why pressure test if if you already know that you have to take it off anyway? The head as stated in the above post may be warped, causing it not to seal correctly. Having it checked out all the way is about the only way to make sure on all levels that the head is good.
LOL! The head has to be off the engine to pressure test it on the machine.

------------------
Old 05-27-2001, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Don't they just wear out ??
I thought overheating was a result of the gasket blowing, not the other way around.

But then again I am NOT a mechanic.

But my head gasket blew the other day and I have been told this is the case.

I believe the main thing is ensure that there has been no warping of the head as a result of any overheating caused by the blown gasket.

------------------
NickB
'89 951

[This message has been edited by NickB 951 (edited 05-29-2001).]
Old 05-29-2001, 01:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Head gasket on a 951 will let go if the engine gets too much boost. In fact it is not uncommon. Some aftermarket chips can make enough boost to do this.
Does not necessarily mean that there was a major failure in the engine. Just be sure that all coolant contaminated oil has been flushed out. Always a good idea to get the head resurfaced and checked for cracks before re-installing.
Old 05-30-2001, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
newb.

They WILL simply wear out.

Old 05-30-2001, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: