Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Post 84 944 CV or Clutch noises?

I use my car 90% for the track, but drive to each event. All insulation and carpeting has been removed, so I hear everything.

Anyway, the car has always made a chatter when the clutch is realeased in neutral. Sort of sounds like a throw-out bearing chatter.

However, now a loud humming/chatter occurs when the car is deaclerating until the clutch is pushing in.

Two track days ago, a loud, thumping was coming from the right rear side of the car. It was diffently rotational in nature. I brought the car in, put it on jacks, and rotate both rear wheels by hand while holding on to the CV's to check for vibration. Nothing. Lowered the car, drove it, Nothing!

Just did another event, and the humming is getting louder.

Any opinion? CV's or Clutch? If CV's should I just repack or replace?

Old 05-29-2001, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
Sounds to me like the pinion bearing, let's hope not...
Ahmet

------------------
It's all the driver...
My page
Porsche owners Gallery.../My 944
Old 05-29-2001, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Worn CV's tend to make more of a knocking sound, almost as if you are driving over railroad tracks.

It's possible that the joint grease had just settled in the boot, and the process of holding the CV while rotating the wheels worked it back in for a temporary fix. 'Course, that's only if the CV is causing that knocking sound in the first place...

------------------
Everybody in the world is bent.
Old 05-30-2001, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Cool

Quote:
loud, thumping was coming from the right rear side of the car.
That sound is form a bad CV. It has lots of slack now.

------------------
PORSCHE There is no Substitute!
Old 05-30-2001, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Bay Area Patriot

That sounds like a pinion bearing alright....my car made the same sound....when the dropped the tranny, opened it up, the ring and pinion were screwed on my car....it made the EXACT same sound your car did...

------------------
Porsche. Es gibt keinen Ersatz.

Old 05-30-2001, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: