Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Question Darn Oil Leak

Having problems. I've had my 87 944 n/a in the shop four times for this oil leak. It seems to come from a different spot everytime they fix something. I hve decided to take over the job myself. I have determained the leak is coming from around the Oil Cooler. I'm not sure if the owner before me put the updated Oil Cooler on the car. What should I look for? Is it best just to replace all teh seals and gaskets with the kit from pelican? I am getting lost. I need some info !!!!!!!!

------------------

Old 05-28-2001, 11:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

If the leak is coming from the area around the cooler, it is either the cooler, pressure relief valve or oil pressure sending unit.

Try the sending unit first, it takes five minutes. If that doesn't work, replace the cooler seals. There is a procedure listed somewher on the web which specifies this is a twenty minute fix. Don't belive it.

It's not all that hard, but you need to remove the sway bar and probably the power steering cooler line.

Many people advice that a special positioning tool is required to line up the oil pressure relief valve. Mine stay up in the block, and so I never removed it.

Make sure you drain all the oil and antifreeze from the car before removing the oil cooler cover!

Good Luck!
Old 05-29-2001, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Thumbs up

I had the time to look at the car today. It was a pain in the butt to find exactly were the darn thing was leaking. I ran into another problem though, I found drops forming are various screws that amounted to the Anti-freeze. This is now good. What should I do first? I had the Oil Pressure Valve replaced all ready. That was the first fix. I believe it is the Seals on the Oil Cooler because I could not find were the Coolant was coming from.

Old 05-29-2001, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Thumbs up

I had the time to look at the car today. It was a pain in the butt to find exactly were the darn thing was leaking. I ran into another problem though, I found drops forming are various screws that amounted to the Anti-freeze. This is no good. What should I do first? I had the Oil Pressure Valve replaced all ready. That was the first fix. I believe it is the Seals on the Oil Cooler because I could not find were the Coolant was coming from.

Old 05-29-2001, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Banned

Try removing the timing belt cover, you may find the coolant is coming from your waterpump.
Old 05-29-2001, 11:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
This is really killing me!!!! I took it to a shop that came hiling from a gentleman that has a 944 S2. Well, it is diffinitly the Oil Cooler that is leaking. Then I found out that the waterpump is leaking, plus the timing belts need to be replaced. This is great :-( I love it how it all hits at once! I also have to get the A/C changed to the newer system which is money too. The funning thing is, it doesn't bother me at all. I got an 87' 944 for $3000 and it only had 120,000 miles on it. Thanks for everything guys!

Old 05-31-2001, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: