Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Lightbulb do i really need the EGR valve?

i don't need it to pass emissions in NY state. i see that it took gases from the exhaust and sent it back into the intake manifold. when i took a really close look at my car (as i've been disassembling it)..

1) the egr pipe was never connected to the exhaust. the car ran smooth and fine without it (until i blew the engine)

2) should i reconnect the EGR at all? or...

3) should i just let it keep breathing in air from the atmosphere

4) how would the car run if i just blocked the EGR off? would this be detrimental to the engine? i noticed that the later 924s didn't have them... what did they have in place of them?

thanks!

obin

Old 06-01-2001, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Obin,
why did the engine blow? Some cars have pre-ignition problems if the EGR isn't connected. The exhuast gas serves to slightly cool down the combustion chamber temperatures (since it has no signifigant amount of oxygen it it, it can't be burned)

As well, now you have more oxygen in the chamber, so your mixture might be slightly lean, also contributing to higher chamber temps, which can cause detonation.

The EGR is only used under light throttle conditions. At idle it is off, under crusing throttle, it is on, and under heavy throttle, it is turned back off. Because it is off under full throttle, it really doesn't affect max HP production.

I'd try re-attaching it. Since it doesn't hurt max power, and since it was designed to be part of your engine, it might improve part-throttle drivability, and it might even boost your gas mileage. If it works badly, you can always disconnect it again.

Mike

Old 06-01-2001, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: