Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Angry Won't Start!!!

Hey Guys, I just came back yesterday from a 3 week trip to the middle east, I tried to start the car today, but it won't budge. The battery is fine, voltage to the coil is 12.5 Volts, and the spark plugs and wires are relatively new ... the only suspect I could think of is the fuel, it has a quarter of the tank in it since I left it.

How could I diagnose the problem further, and what can I try. The starter turns the engine strongly, and the engine moves. The distributor rotor also turns, so I don't think it is the timing belt!!! HELP

------------------
Lock Stock '84 944 and two smokin' tires ...

Old 05-31-2001, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

test the fuel pressure. if you do not have a guage unscrew the 19mm at the end of the fuel rail and it should be pressurized. if not you have a fuel problem.
Old 05-31-2001, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
What would Darth Vader do

Send a message via Yahoo to Gordon Rankin
Ehab,
I went through exactly the same thing. In spite of the fact that I had fuel at the fuel distributor, the fuel pump RELAY was bad. It was the last thing on earth that I thought would be bad but there it was. Started up like a champ.

------------------
Gordon
1981 924 N/A
Old 05-31-2001, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Hey Gordon, I remember when you had your problem ... but didn't you store the car over the winter?

Anyway, did you just replace the relay, or did you take the old one apart?

Thanks for the help.
E

------------------
Old 05-31-2001, 09:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Unhappy

I took the fuel pump relay out (relay II) and cleaned it, I also looked inside of it, and it looked fine ...

I also released the 19mm nut at the end of the fuel rail, and there was some fuel there that leaked out when I took the nut off, but I didn't really notice any real 'pressure'. How much pressure should there be carter?

Also, how do you check if there is a spark or not?

Thank you guys, I really appreciate the help.
Old 06-01-2001, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Never mind, after a second look at the relay, I think it is blown, the diode is burnt out, and one of the coils is also broken ... I just need a new one, wish me luck.
E
Old 06-01-2001, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

What would Darth Vader do

Send a message via Yahoo to Gordon Rankin
Ehab,
No, I didn't store it but it did just stop running on the freeway and it took a massive amount of time to trouble shoot the problem. Another thought is that you might have accumulated a bit of moisture in the tank. Just put some Chevron Techron in the tank. It works well.
As for the fuel pump relay, my new one cost me about $15.00. But when I opened up the old one, you could really smell the "ozone" odor.

------------------
Gordon
1981 924 N/A
Old 06-01-2001, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Woooohoooooo, thank you soooooo much Gordon, if it wasn't for you unfortunate experience, I would have been stuck for much longer before figuring out the problem.

I bought a new relay from the dealer for $20, plugged it in, and Voila ... all is well.

It has been a stressful experience though, for the past couple of days, after checking everything I could think of under the hood, but if it wasn't for your advice, I would have been stuck for a few more days without a car ...

Again, thanks so much, and by the way, the old relay looked fine, and I couldn't tell it was broken until testing it with the multimeter.

E

------------------

Old 06-01-2001, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: