Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to jowing
Unhappy AC Help!

I have a 86 944 and my compressor is not coming on. When I press the ac button it lights up, the electric fans are going on but no compressor kicking on. Could it be my control unit or a bad relay? I also turned on my defogger switch and the compressor still would not come on. Does anyone know, help.
Thanks!
Joey

Old 05-27-2001, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Lightbulb

I had the same problem, your feon is low. There is a pressure switch on all AC systems that monitor the system pressure. Once the switch detect a low freon pressure the AC system will not operate. If you were to put more feon into the system the system should start to work again. I suspect that you have a leak that will have to be fixed otherwise the feon will leak out again. If you have the old style feon you will have to remove the old freon, fix the leak and replace it with the new stuff (R134). The leak could be a simple loose pressure fitting connection or a worn out compressor ($$$) This is a job for an AC technician.

Mark
86' 944NA

Old 05-27-2001, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks! Mark
Do you know if changong over to R134 requires any modification? I have seen the retrofit kits at local stores, do they work?
Joey
86 944
Old 05-30-2001, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Smile

I had a leaky compressor so I called Griffiths (www.griffiths.com). They sold me a compressor and everything I needed to replace my compressor and retrofit my AC to R134 including new fittings that I replaced as a precaution. I think the kits from the parts store would work out fine, some come with very good instructions. I think you should find out where the leak is first other wise the stuff will leak out and nothing would have been solved.

Mark
Old 05-30-2001, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I also did the r134a retrofit within the last few weeks, two cans of 134A and some Maxi-Cool and now it chills to 38 deg. Cost about $75 total for my entire retro. But rebuilding the compressor with the 134A seals is a pain in the but. Like the above post stated get the 134A ready compressor. I got all the 134A parts from a hyperlink givin to me on this board.

www.acsource.com
Old 05-30-2001, 10:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Cebu
A/C retrofit to R134a, I have done my 81 maxima, 82 320I,86 944na, 81 Olds without changing any seals just uusing the fitting retro kits and purging then charging the system using 134a charge,oil, maxi cool and stop leak. Systems doing fine.
Old 05-31-2001, 04:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I replaced the seals on the 2 lines going into my condensor and it fixed my leak for the most part. I still have to put in one can at the start of each summer though. I am using a R-12 compatible substitute called Freeze 12. It works great and doesn't have the high preasure that 134a has. it is works with mineral oil like R-12 does. Check with local auto parts stores.

[This message has been edited by T86951 (edited 06-01-2001).]
Old 06-01-2001, 09:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Cool

Thanks! Everyone, I will try it and let you guys know. Wish me lots of luck!
Joey

Old 06-01-2001, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: