Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Post Brake warning light

Re did the brakes on my car, light has been on for awhile but time just now allowed me to do the work. Anyways, I replaced the pads, resurfaced the rotors and replaced the wear sensors. But the dam light on the dash is still on!!! Is there a reset for this thing somewhere?

Thanks in advance

Gip

Old 05-31-2001, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Ha, I have no clue but I did the same thing minus the rotors and the light stayed on. I just live with it. For the first couple of weeks I almost took out the GD bulb.
Old 05-31-2001, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to pschaars951
after about a week of having my car the brakelight would come on. This pissed me off because the guy told me he had just changed the pads. So that day i took the wheel off to look, and the pads were brand new, but he didnt run the sensor wires through the retaining clips. The wires got worn down by the rotor and shorted. You can go back and look to see if you have a similar problem. Thats my only experience with the brakes though. Hope this helps

-pete
Old 05-31-2001, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

the sensors are a closed loop. if you cut the wires and splice them together the light will turn off. of course you will no longer have pad wear sensor but who needs them anyway? it may be your parking brake switch keeping the light on though.
Old 05-31-2001, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Smile

I do not have sensors connected on my car. I think that I pay close enough attention to know when I will need new pads.
Old 05-31-2001, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I agree with not needing the sensors....but I got them for nothing so i thought I would put them in. I tried just unplugging them when I first got the car....but it didnt help. The dam light makes me nuts so I will either take 951's advice or remove the dam bulb!!!

Gipper
Old 05-31-2001, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Petie3rd

Send a message via Yahoo to Mrmerlin
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gip87s:

Hi Bro wait on removing the bulb, first check your master cylinder make shure it is full and the cap is working IE no continuity when the float is pressed up use an ohm meter to do this then if all is good under the hood, next look at the emergency brake handle lift it up and look for the switch try to make it open and close use a screw driver, all this switch does is ground a wire to the chassis, if this does not help let me know ...Stan
Old 06-01-2001, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Petie3rd

Send a message via Yahoo to Mrmerlin
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ven:

Hi Ven I would bet that you have a wire shorted somewhere, do this disconnec the sensors from the wire that goes to each wheel and get a small piece of wire and strip both ends, plug a wire into every lead under the car and with the key on remove each one (THIS should make the light go out if it is a grounding problem with a sensor)
Then remove one jumper wire at a time and plug back into the brake sensors one of these should light up the light that is the culprit............Stan
Old 06-01-2001, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Location: Saint Louis, Missouri, United States of America, Earth
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Allldi
If you don't want brake pad wear indicators, do what Carter said. At least plug them in to keep moisture, dirt and other stuff from getting on the connectors. And if you don't like the light being on all the time but you don't want new sensors, do what Carter said. It's a lot easier to splice the wires than it is to remove the bulb.

------------------
Ryan
1991 944S2 coupe

Old 06-01-2001, 08:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: