Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
Post Auxiliary Air Regulator (Why take the manifold off?)

So I'm sitting there, starting to loosen the alen bolts on the throttle body, then it suddenly struck me, WHY take off the manifold? Why remove the aux. air valve at all? Why not just spray carb cleaner on the intake side? Isn't that all I can do when I take it out anyway (if not replacing, which I'm not).

Well, I'll do this either tonight, if it doesn't help, I may remove the thing, and totally soak it with some type of cleaner/lubricant, we'll see, but I think it'll be OK.
Ahmet

------------------
It's all the driver...

Old 05-27-2001, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Hey Ahmet let me know if this works,because I need to do the same thing.

------------------
Drive it like you stole it........Justin
Old 05-27-2001, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Keep us update on this topic, my aux. valve is also in need of some attention and I would be happy if I don't need to remove the manifold.

/Magnus
Old 05-27-2001, 11:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to porscheboi928s/c944t/n
Arrow

why let all those carbon deposits go inside the combustion chamber...what about scratching the wall......
Old 05-28-2001, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
porscheboi928s/c944t/n, I doubt there's any chunks of carbon build up, that'll work it's way loose from the aux. air valve, into the chamber. (Keep in mind, the aux. valve never gets as hot as the combustion chamber, any deposits are likely to be moist, and soft).

Anyway, since I'm pulling the air flow meter, and thinking about a funky ram air, I think I'll go ahead and pull the manifold. This'll let me soak the aux. air valve with carb cleaner, from both sides.

PS: Decided to do this, since if the valve is stuck closed, none of the carb cleaner would go through it.
Ahmet
Old 05-28-2001, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Ahmet, if your AAV is semi-healthy and only needs cleaning, then spraying from inside should be fine. However, you will never know if it is in good condition unless you take it out and test it, by running some current through it to make it close, and/or putting it in a freezer to make it open.
The main thing that helped me when I took it out is to adjust the opening by repositioning the plate with the small nut on the outside.
Good luck.
E
Old 05-31-2001, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Ahmet, if your AAV is semi-healthy and only needs cleaning, then spraying from inside should be fine. However, you will never know if it is in good condition unless you take it out and test it, by running some current through it to make it close, and/or putting it in a freezer to make it open.
The main thing that helped me when I took it out is to adjust the opening by repositioning the plate with the small nut on the outside.
Good luck.
E
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Good luck.
E
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Good luck.
E
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

geez, i think he got the message :-)
Old 05-31-2001, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Sorry, my PC froze, so I pressed the 'post reply' button a bunch of times, and I guess the server just accepted all my repeated requests later ...
I apologize again.
E

Old 05-31-2001, 10:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
The part numbers for differ from year-to-year. My 86 944na shows "Idle Stabilizer" PN 930-606-161-00. Any difference in function from the earlier units? The list price of a new one is $148, with Hendrick's selling it for $104 - so I'm hoping to clean it up. What a pain to remove... remove fuel rail and intake manifold.
Old 06-01-2001, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
I think the later units are more precise, but not positive. I know they have different # of wires going in to the valve however.

I'm not going to have time to do this soon, like I planned. I have to do my brakes, wheel bearings, get an alignment, change transaxle fluid, fix coolant leak, etc.
Ahmet

------------------
It's all the driver...
My page over1g@hotmail.com
Porsche owners Gallery.../My 944

Old 06-02-2001, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: