Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Unhappy Bolt on the end of the crank

Is the bolt on the front of the crankshaft a normal threaded bolt or is it a reverse thread. I seem to be havig a heck of a time removing it.

Old 05-31-2001, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

it is a normal thread but it is torqued to 150 ft.lbs. and has orange loctite on it. you are definitely going to need a long breaker bar.before you take it off make sure that you have the appropriate loctite and a good torque wrench to put it back on.
Old 05-31-2001, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

oh yeah, you will also need the flywheel lock or you will just be turning over the motor.
Old 05-31-2001, 05:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Angry

And make sure it is tight when you're done...

I had one come loose on my autoxer... It was a strange weekend. On Friday, I lost the oil pressure gauge... On saturday, the light went south... On sunday, the front crank pulley fell off during a run, and I ran half the run without it...

The reason this is noteworthy is because the oil pump is driven by that bolt. O-8=

I got lucky. I only had to drop the pan, replace rod bearings and oil pump pickup O-rings to make it good again. That was about 2K street miles, around 85 autox runs and 350 track miles ago. I guess the repair was good. :-)

Good luck!

patmac
Old 05-31-2001, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the info, I had it off when I rebuilt the engine two years ago, I had it off last year when I changed the oil pump. I changed the oil pump as I didn't trust it, so i replaced it. I think I may have over torqued it the last time as it said in the book to do it to 180 ft lbs.

I have bent a 1/2 inch drive breaker bar on it. I have made a 4ft long steel flat iron bar with a cutout to go around the timing belt pulley and drilled holes for the bolt from the alt and air belt pulley. Bolted teh bar on so the crank is not turning.

I have heated the bolt and to no avail the *^%$ thing is still in there. Looks like I will have to get a 3/4 inch drive socked and power bar to break it free. I just wanted to confirm I was turning it the right direction. I guess i will have to try a little harder.
Old 05-31-2001, 08:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

come over to my house if you have the block out and we can get it off with my mother size impact.

hey and i am ready to give you the tranny, haven't got it off yet, busy as hell with other people's needs like fenders, do we need to take suspension off?
Old 05-31-2001, 10:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

when you re-attached it, you didn't put RED loctite(#271) on it did you? if you did, you'll have to heat it up to over 300F or it'll be nearly impossible to remove.

you're supposed to use the orange loctite, (#574 i think), it's a sealer NOT a thread locker.

If you didn't use a threadlocker, then i have no idea why you can't remove it.

Mike
Old 06-01-2001, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Didn't use any locktite on it when I put the other oil pump on. I really think that I over torqued it. The battle continues.

Old 06-02-2001, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: