Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Turbo charge an N/a?

Is it possible to put a turbocharger on an 86' 944. If it is possible, then what kind should i get? What other stuff should I worry about when adding a turbo?
Old 09-20-2003, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to SlowToady
Oh God.

Search, the toic as been beaten to death.

Oh yea, it's not worth it.
Old 09-20-2003, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage

Old 09-20-2003, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to perfecto951
it can be done. first, put yur 944 up on autotrader or ebay - then take the money you were going to invest on a turbo system and add it to what you got for your n/a and put it int a 951.
Old 09-20-2003, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
oh my god, i can't believe somebody posted this and is actually SERIOUS.

dude, you just fulfilled the role of the newbie stereotype! congrats.
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 09-20-2003, 08:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Ya know, its kinda funny how everytime a new guy asks about turbocharging his n/a he gets verbally thrashed by the regulars. I just wish somebody would do it and post the results both positive and negative. That way when another sincere newbie asked about it everyone could refer them to a specific thread or discussion filled with real results and costs rather than thread after thread of blah, blah, blah, sell, blah, n/a, blah, buy, blah, 951.
And a whole bunch of German scrap metal shaped like 924's.

Old enough to know better, and stupid enough to do it anyway!
Old 09-20-2003, 09:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to SlowToady
Yea Wolf I think it'd be nice if someone did it too, but that's a pretty expensive project just to be able to refer someone to real data.

Why not contact Callaway? They did it in the 80s..

Hey if someone wants to donate me the money, I have lots of time I'll give fitting the turbo a go:-D
Old 09-20-2003, 09:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

There a guy on rennlist goes by nine-44 named Andy. He's done it. Looks real good too. Anything is possible given the right circumstances.
Old 09-20-2003, 09:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by SidVicious
There a guy on rennlist goes by nine-44 named Andy. He's done it. Looks real good too. Anything is possible given the right circumstances.

See now that wasn't so hard...
And a whole bunch of German scrap metal shaped like 924's.

Old enough to know better, and stupid enough to do it anyway!
Old 09-20-2003, 09:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

actually SoCal had the perfect conversion a while back.

jack up your radiator cap and install a 951 under it
Old 09-20-2003, 10:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 09-20-2003, 10:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
I'm gunna buy a 951 and make it an N/A......
928 OC member
PCA member
Old 09-21-2003, 02:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
well of course it's possible; that's not the point. the point is
1) it costs more to do than to just buy a very nice 951 in the first place
2) a new poster comes along every month or so, and one of their first posts is always either "how can I turbocharge my NA?" or "how can I get more power out of my 944?"

of course the poor, hapless newbie has no idea what he's bringing upon himself when he posts one of these topics, but when you've seen this happen a million or so times, it gets pretty funny.
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 09-21-2003, 05:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Damn, im 16 and i just started getting into the porsche stuff. Yes i am a newbie, but the thing is, where can i find a 944 Turbo with 53,000 miles on it? Thats how much my N/A has and if i did find one with that low milage, it will probally be cheaper to buy a turbo.
Old 09-21-2003, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I've got enough money for the turbo, I just didnt want to buy it and be like WTF, i need something more. http://www.lindseyracing.com/turbo944.htm <--- Look at that. If it cant be done, then why are these guys selling turbos? If it can be done, then im gonna do it.
Old 09-21-2003, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Nabeel
16 years old? Improve the driver before more adding any turbochargers and whatnot...
76K miles
color-matched fuchs

SOLD
Old 09-21-2003, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rock, Lindsey's turbos are more for the 951 owner who has started modifying his car. The turbo requires a LOT of extra plumbing. His stuff isn't intended for conversions from n/a to turbo, necessarily. There would be a lot of little things you'd need like intake, intercooler, etc.
CJ's points are true, and you walked right into it. Basically, the time and effort to convert an n/a to turbo isn't worth it, in most cases. I just had to pitch in that it CAN be done, but 99% of the time, you're better off enjoying an n/a 944 as it was built. There is nothing wrong with the n/a cars at all. Don't get the idea a 944 has to have a turbo to be respectable.
The downside to driving a 944 at age 16 is, for the rest of your life you will be judging cars to a standard for handling that very few will be able to approach.
Welcome to the board, BTW.
Old 09-21-2003, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Oh, thanks for the info Sid . Maybe i should just sell my 944 to turbocharge my bicycle...
Old 09-21-2003, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rock:

Cool your jets. The old guys here have this real tender spot about converting an NA over to a turbo.

As you have read and seen, the conversion can be done, but when you factor in the cost of parts, and the amount of work that needs to be done, buying a turbo can be much more cost effective than converting an NA.

Having said that, and realizing that you are new to Porsche, I would recommend that you keep your NA and use it as a stepping stone towards a turbo.

From a mechanical stand point, get your NA to the point that it is running well and is reliable. You will learn some of the how's and why's concerning the engine, engine management, drive train and suspension. Don't blow a ton of cash on performance mods. The small gains are not worth it (IMHO). However, I would invest in a round throttle cam (also called a "performance throttle cam"). This cam will take some of the "softness" out of the throttle. Keep in mind that the goal here is to get the car to the point where you do more driving than wrenching.

While you are getting the car sorted out, join your local PCA chapter and attend the meetings. You will no doubt meet some cool folks. Seek out other 944 owners and pick their brains.

Once you have the car sorted out mechanically you can start learning how to drive the car on the track by attending DE, or Driver Education events. The point here is to learn the fine points of performance driving in a controlled environment.

At some point during this learning process your driving skills should reach a point where you have out-grown your NA. This is the point where you should start looking for a different car.

I know this sounds like a lot to go through, but trust me, the pay off is worth the effort, and as young as you are, you have nothing but time, so invest it wisely.

Oh, BTW: Welcome to the world of "water pumpers"!
Old 09-21-2003, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

Quote:
Originally posted by justin
I'm gunna buy a 951 and make it an N/A......

Old 09-21-2003, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: