Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Post 86 vs 87 951

What are the differences between the 86 and 87 951? I know the offsets, abs and door cars but what else? Will the 18" tech rims from the 996 fit on an 86?

Thanks,
Tom

Old 06-02-2001, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Also the 87' has an automatic timing belt tensioner, while the 86' does not, and this part can not be retrofitted. The 87' has "slap guards" in the timing belt assembly to keep the belt from slapping against itself, and this can be retrofitted to the 86'. 87' was the first year porsche offered airbags, and they put dual airbags as standard equipment in the US market 951, but 86' has no airbags. 86' turbo came standard with a transmission cooler, while it was optional in 87'. Sometime in 87' they made the oilpan baffle to combat the #2 rod bearing oil starvation standard, and this can be retrofitted. The 18" tech rims can fit. You may have to use a 10 or 15 mm spacer (or 45 mm!!! spacer and longer wheel studs on an 86') and will definitely have to roll the fenders out to fit a 10" wide wheel in the back with 265/35 18 tires on it. If you get saucy and put the 285/30 18's on it, you may have to adjust the rear camber.

------------------
ribs, 86' 951
Old 06-02-2001, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
Oil pressure relief valve, and struts (sealed vs. repleacable), strut mounts, among other smaller things are also differences between the two model years.
Ahmet

------------------
It's all the driver...
My page over1g@hotmail.com
Porsche owners Gallery.../My 944
Old 06-02-2001, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Would I be better off finding an 87?
Old 06-02-2001, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I would opt for the 87' personally, just because wheels are a lot easier to fit to it than the 86' model. There are a number of small improvements that both me and ahmet mentioned, and airbags may save your life in a collision (or take it...1st gen airbags...yikes). I would say wheels are my biggest gripe with the 86' model that I have. The only more modern wheels that fit it are aftermarket heavy weak replicas (that did end up saving my suspension in a collision the car was in a few weeks ago because of the fact that they bent up like tin foil...if I had the fuchs on there I think my car would have had a whole lot more damage because they wouldn't have absorbed the impact the way the replica wheels did). But, if you find an 86' that is cherry, go for it by all means, but there usually isn't that much of a market for these cars because of their relative obscurity, so go with the best 87' you can find unless you find an 86' that blows your mind and is affordable. Also, make sure you buy the car properly (PPI, including compression test, get the service records, etc). That is the best advice I can give.

------------------
ribs, 86' 951
Old 06-02-2001, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Oh yeah, i forgot to mention that the only other wheel options for 86' offset are forged racing wheels (can anyone say bling bling$$$$?), made by fikse, kinesis, and a few others. Very pricey. Some of them aren't manufacturered anymore, either.

------------------
ribs, 86' 951
Old 06-02-2001, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thanks
Old 06-02-2001, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

you can add the "automatic" tensioner to the earlier cars. i just put one on my 86 951. the castings are already there you just have to drill and tap them. the trick is too have them line up properly. i centered the first one by eye and then bolted up the tensioner to drill the other two. of course drilling into your block is not for the faint at heart. the "slap guard" is actually part of your water pump so when you upgrade to the later water pump you just bolt it on. i personally prefer the 86 cars because airbags and ABS are for girls and just add weight and complexity,IMHO.
Old 06-02-2001, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
You can also get replica wheels for the 86s (and fuchs, that are very light).

I personally prefer ABS, and would like an airbag in a car that doesn't have full harnesses, and an airbag! Both can be disabled quite quickly. However, perhaps you're right, they must add a lot of wiring+processing power-->weight. Depends on what you're looking to do with the car I suppose.
Ahmet

------------------
It's all the driver...
My page over1g@hotmail.com
Porsche owners Gallery.../My 944
Old 06-03-2001, 01:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I know that the 87 car has a different front wheel offset and different front control arms.

I read somewhere that they changed the offset and control arms in order to move the scrub radius from a negative to a positive value. Has anyone driven the two cars back to back on a track? Can anyone notice the difference in scrub radius (smoother turn in)?

I also assume that the later cars contol arms are slightly longer, which would provide a better camber curve for the wheel, but also be somewhat less stiff.

Does anyone have any magazine comparisons of the two cars from back in the day? ('86 and '87)

Any comments?

Kaos

Old 06-03-2001, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: