Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Post to CAT or not to CAT

I have an 86' 944 that I want to remove the CAT from. I have heard conflicting views regarding the best route to go. I first thought of just cutting it out and replacing it would a straight section of pipe but this would probably be too loud. Some have suggested that i cut out the cat and replace it with a cherry bomb type, staight-through glass pack. Others have suggested a straight-through resonator be welded in place of the cat (I would think this is the same as a cherry bomb). Still others have said that the correct way to go is with a Bursh type test pipe of the kind that include the pipes that connect with the exhaust manifold. All things considered, which would be the best way to go? Sound increases to be expected with the different options, etc. Car is in Mexico so emissions regulations, etc. do not apply.

Any views from other 944 owners out there that have already replaced their cats are greatly appreciated.

Old 06-02-2001, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Rollins Send a message via AIM to Rollins
When I first bought my 944 it had a plain piece of pipe welded in and sounded like **** and made the car really sluggish. When I put a cat on it was really quiet and it was a lot more responsive. I have heard a lot of good things about the test pipes from Bursch though, so that might be the best way to go. I would not use a glasspack, cherry bomb, or just weld a pipe in. It makes your car sound like ****.
-Tim
Old 06-02-2001, 08:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Smile

I just replaced my CAT to pass the emmissions test that we are sujected to every 2 years here in Ontario. A used CAT might have only lasted a short while and a new Porsche CAT $ouch$...., so I had a Catco one installed. The car is a little noisier due to the lack of a resonator but it isn't too bad, performance seems about the same. The guy who sourced it for me said the CAT was sized for a V8 so flow should not and has not been a problem. The original Porsche CAT comprises of a CAT section followed by a resonator section hence the extra length. The one that was originally installed on the car looked like the previous owner had a broom stick or the like shoved up the CAT to remove the catalyst material. Donn't do this at home !!! ;-)

Mark
86' 944NA
Old 06-02-2001, 09:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
I've had my car with a cat, without a cat, a test pipe, etc. (BTW, I don't think I like the quality of Bursch test pipes)

On 944 NAs, no cat will make the car seem somewhat more sluggish, but I think there's more power overall anyway. The sound issue usually arises from loose stuff in the (factory-->old)muffler (My car sounds identical witout the cat, but punching it out took some serious work).

On turbos, no cat will make a noticable difference, and the sound level shouldn't be too bad, as the turbo muffles the sound. It'll reduce lag a little bit, and improve response, specially at the low end, unlike the NA cars.
Ahmet

------------------
It's all the driver...
My page over1g@hotmail.com
Porsche owners Gallery.../My 944
Old 06-03-2001, 01:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I have removed the cat on my 86 turbo and left the porsche muffler on the car. The increase in power was very noticable and the sound is great. Not to loud and it really amplifies the sweet sound of a porsche motor.

don't know if you want to take the cat off an na car though.

Picture 1 at this address shows mine:

http://www.ninefiveone.com/images/susexh/pix.htm

-g
Old 06-03-2001, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

When I bought my 84 944, it had a glass pack on it and no muffler. Way too loud for my tastes, and I had to install a cat for emissions testing. There is still not a muffler on it. My wife wants me to put in a muffler because she thinks that it is too loud for the neighbors. I agree.

Old 06-03-2001, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: