Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Screaming balance shafts.

Hello Guys, I can't get my balance shaft belt quiet again after I replaced it along with the water pump, timing belt and oil seals. The belt doesn't have to much tension, it's very lose now and still makes some noise. I have driven some 30 km after the replacement. The new belt is the new 18 mm wide one, the old one was 15 mm wide, does this make it scream more?

Any ideas?

/Magnus

Old 06-02-2001, 03:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
if it is making that kind of noise, something is wrong. i think the width has something to do with it, as it sounds like it would be rubbing.
Old 06-02-2001, 04:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

What do you mean by "scream"?

------------------
Old 06-02-2001, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

did you twist it? the manual says specifically not to twist it or it will make noise. is it hitting the sides of the rollers? did you use the spacer to gap it 0.5mm away from the shaft and 0-0.5 mm of pretension? did you also replace the idler and tensioner? did you set the tension before setting the idler?
Old 06-02-2001, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
I'd also check the torque on the balance shaft housing bolts.
Ahmet

------------------
It's all the driver...
My page over1g@hotmail.com
Porsche owners Gallery.../My 944
Old 06-03-2001, 01:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Well, screaming is maybe a little strong word, it makes an unpleasant noise. Tensioner and idler are also replaced and I have set tension without the idler in place. I have about 1 mm preload and 1 mm clearance. I have tried to locate the the sound with a stethoscope but haven't had any luck. I start to think it comes from the belt rubbing the sides of the rollers.

/Magnus
Old 06-03-2001, 04:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Petie3rd

Send a message via Yahoo to Mrmerlin
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Magnus_944:
Hi Magnus try this remove the balance belt from the car start it up an see if it might be the timing belt causing your problems also look for a possiblility that the balancs belt pulleys are all on correctly look at the Hayns manual an it will give good pictures as to the way the Idle pulleys go if one is not in the correct position it may let the belt slide and rub on a part of the timing cover, now if you still have the noise after you remove the balance belt then maybe the timing belt is a lil too tight, to check the timing belt tension without a tool you should have 90 deg of twist on the long thro from the cam to the crank, remember the whole reason for the belt tightening thing is because the engine grows when it gets hot so it needs a lil bit of slack in the belt when it is cold so when it gets hot it doesnt overtighten the belt, you can prove this by checking the belt tension when the car is cold and then starting it an let it idle till the fans come on then check the belt again.... anyway also look for the possibility that the timing belt might be rubbing on a part of the timing cover as some newer water pumps will bind or move the timing cover into a position that does this
if this is the case then you may have to cut the timing cover to fit the waterpump, I hope you already did this......Stan
Old 06-03-2001, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Petie3rd

Also as a further note NO damage will occur with the engine running and the balance belt removed, this will only let the engine run a lil bit smoother,..Stan
Old 06-03-2001, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Petie3rd

One other thing, Ahmet touched on this but check the balance shafts and see if they turn freely , it is not uncommon to have a balance shaft binding in its housing if this is the case then you will have to reseal the balance shaft cover after you loosen all the bolts to reposition the cover ,I dont think this is the case for you if the balance shafts all turn smoothly then no worries here
Old 06-03-2001, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
there are 2 different width available for the 944. it may be possible that you did get the wrong one. i think the 2 widths are 15 and 18mm, witht the latter for 87? models.
Old 06-03-2001, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Well, I think I have to call a good mechanic on tuesday to sort things out. If my -83 is supposed to only work with the 15 mm belt the guys at the porsche center who sold me the 18 mm belt will know...

Anyway, thanks for your replies!
/Magnus
Old 06-03-2001, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Magnus
Ahmet was heading you in the the right direction -- I posted a few months ago about the same problem....try loosening(just a little!) the (4) larger bolts that hold the housing on in front for the lower shaft. They run perpendicular to the crank. If these arent just right, the two shaft bearings are out of alignment. In my case it didnt hurt anything -- i think the actual noise was the shaft rubbing the housing or maybe the spacer... Have you run the car without the balance shaft belt to make sure its isolated to that assembly? If it is I bet this is your problem....sounds very similar to the one I had -- It took weeks(months!) for me to figure it out. The stethescope is great, but that kind of sound travels around the front of the engine.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Weldin (edited 06-04-2001).]

Old 06-04-2001, 05:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: