Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to acaprez
Post what car?

I'm going to college next year, and although it's 25-30 miles away from my house, I'm going to be living on campus. But I'm going to need a car to get around and trips home. We're selling the LeBaron I'm driving now and my Jeep. Although I'd consider this a perfect opportunity to get a 944 my mom has told me its not going to happen. I think she has the mind set that Porsche=$$$ so convincing her would be hard.

My question is if I can't get a 944 what would be a decent car to get? I have probably 3-4k. This means that it'll have to be something 80s which is basically a matter of luck finding something well maintained. What is the best thing to do in this situation? BTW I'm in the San Diego area. And where are more resources to find a 944 other than Autotrader online, their mag, and paper? And what points can I make to get one if it's my best option or up there?

Thanks,
acaprez

Old 06-03-2001, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
you might want to try finding a nissan 240sx, i dont know how nice it would be for 3-4 but you could try....nice car, lots of after market stuff for it

Old 06-03-2001, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hmm, I'll look at those. I'm also thinking about a late 80s Celica. I still have my mind set on a 944 in the future so I'd just want something to get me around and that I can sell in a year or so without taking too much of a loss.
Old 06-03-2001, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
my best friend just bought a 93' celica for 4500.....he likes it, if you are going to just have something to get around get a $800 vw.
Old 06-03-2001, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

My mom has an 87 Celica, it's an alright car. I wouldn't want an 800 vw because I want something really old. And I want something that I can stand freeway driving with. My friend has a 60 something Bug and that thing is annoying for longer rides.
Old 06-03-2001, 01:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Location: Saint Louis, Missouri, United States of America, Earth
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Allldi
When you do decide to get a 944, a couple of great places to look are the classified sections in Excellence magazine and Porsche Panorama. Panorama is the Porsche Club Of America's monthly publication so you can't get it for yourself without owning a Porsche and joining, but if you have any friends who are members then you can look through theirs. There is also either an internet site or newsletter or something that has 100's of Porsches for sale in it every month. If I think of the name of it or it's URL I will post it. If you can, you should really try to convince your mom of letting you buy a 944 now. I'll admit, they're expensive to maintain, but when compared to other cars, they are surprisingly reliable, extremely fun, they get relatively good gas milage for a sports car, and they are definitely a bargin to buy.

------------------
Ryan
1991 944S2 coupe
Old 06-03-2001, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
thing is that if you only have 3-4 grand, from what i've heard atleast you'll have trouble finding a nice 944.....and when u do find one you will probably have to put in 2-5 grand extra just to fix everything up. I just made an offer on one, 8000, i know its expensive but everything on this car is done and its in amazing condition, i mean i buy it and drive, nothing to do.

plus 944s here in New England are hard to find that are in good condition, probably alot easier where you are
Old 06-03-2001, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I paid $1500 for my 84 944 and put in about $1200 in parts, doing all of the work myself. The most expensive part was the clutch at $380. I did the clutch master an slave cylinders, brake master cylinder, rebuilt a caliper, tune up parts including new wires, CV boots and a cat. Shop around on the internet. It took me a few weeks to find everything, but worth the effort. I did my search on iwon.com. Good luck.
Old 06-03-2001, 04:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to pschaars951
Hey, heres how I got around my mom when I bought my 944-

"Hey mom I am going out to look at a professionally modified VW. It is selling at a real good price so I might have to buy it on the spot..." "oh, your right, it is a Porsche."

I was in trouble for about a week. Oh well. Umm, about getting a nissan 240sx, or something similar. I have had a couple 300zx and they are fun little cars, but they broke all the time. I spent more money on them. If I were you I would look at a late 70s 240zx and do all the work yourself, or get something really new that wont brake. With that budget it is a little hard to get something with few miles. The other thing you can do is get a honda cruising bike for $500 that is my next purchase. gas prices suck!

And about the Celica, I had first driven a celica about 3 weeks after I got my porsche -my friend needed a "getaway" driver -I didnt like it at all compared to my 944. The steering felt, loose the brakes were "mushy", it kept sliding on me, which was fun... but go carts are cheaper.

-pete
Old 06-03-2001, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Bay Area Patriot

damn......i mentioned 944 and my parents just said......."OKIE DOKIE!!!!! I"m so proud you're carrying the tradition on!!!!!"

next a 968

------------------
Porsche. Es gibt keinen Ersatz.
Old 06-03-2001, 10:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Cake,

I could manage doing something like that. My grandpa was a mechanic and I've done lots of car work myself. My only worry with any car is getting something that has lots of hidden things that break. I'll keep looking out for 944s and check some out. Maybe I'll stumble across something. Now I just have to call my insurance about rates.
Old 06-03-2001, 10:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Petie3rd

Send a message via Yahoo to Mrmerlin
[QUOTE]Originally posted by acaprez:

Hi Bro, If you have a strong liking for a Jap car then by all means go for it ........BUT if you have any mechanical capability then I would say from your limited budget look for a BMW 325 i or is, not the 325e, I had one an 87 325is got it cheap put in new brakes and a timing belt waxed it and drove the shnell out of it,2.5 litre 6 cylinder lots of fun and it will bring more money at resale time than any comparable jap car plus you can count on 200,000 miles easy if you do regular maintenance, and 4 wheel drifts are a blast and the brakes work well and for cruisin the freeways it is comfortable at 80 mph .
My main reason to stay away from the jap cars is in knowing how cheaply they are built, how thin the metal is that constructs them, the lower tensile strength that is used ..........go to a autobody shop that does towing for the local where you live and look at how the jap cars just fold up like a tin can, then look at a car from BMW, Mercedes ,Volvo, ir even VW or Porsche
Anyway thats my 2 centz.....Stan
Old 06-04-2001, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Thumbs up

I have owned a couple Datsun 240Zs - a '71 and a '73. These are great cars and excellent bang for your buck. The other great thing is that they are CA smog exempt - no more emission testing and you can modify the engine and exhaust to your heart's content. The best of the bunch is the '72 - a bit more power, lighter than the '73s and still has the good carbs. (Stay away from the '73s or any 260Zs unless you know what you are doing).

The thing you have to watch out for is rust. For $3,500, you should be able to find a very nice car. Just make sure you get it checked out at a good Datsun garage before you buy.

Good luck.
Old 06-04-2001, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I gave 2000 for my 84 944. Just needed a little cosmetic work. Otherwise perfect condition. Worked a little every day on it. And drove ot for a year, never did anything to it(except oil, etc.) Just sold it a few weeks ago for 2500.

Just keep looking, you'll know a good deal when you see one.

David

Old 06-04-2001, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: