Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Question complete car check over & Timing Belt

I am bringing my '84 944 NA into our local Porsche repair shop (not a dealer, but an authorized mechanic) He has been working on Porsches for about 25 years. I bought this car about 2 months ago, and it runs great but I really want a thorough report on the status of all major parts (ie. shocks, brakes etc.) This mechanic has actually worked on this car for the last 6 years, where there has almost been no mileage put on it. People around rave about him, and there is always 5-10 nice Porsches sitting out front. He only charges $55/hour Canadian or about $36/hour US. He says he stills runs the business because he loves Porsche Cars. (He owns 4-5 or them)

My question (finally) is that he says to replace my timing belt and gears with proper new parts, including labour will come in around $450 canadian ($300US) (3 hours work and parts.) This seems VERY low compared to hearing what many of you have posted as the costs to do the job. SHould I be concerned? Or is this guy just giving a great deal. I have talked wiht many 944, 928, Boxster, 911 etc. etc owners who use him, and all agree is is an amazing technician, and NEVER EVER has screwed anyone, that anyone can remember.

Am I being paranoid, or is this possible? He said that would charge me roughly 2 hours labour to go thorugh the entire car bumper to bumper and give me a detailed report on the status of practically everything. I asked if would do this, he wasn;t trying to sell it to me.

James

[This message has been edited by James84-944 (edited 06-02-2001).]

[This message has been edited by James84-944 (edited 06-02-2001).]

Old 06-02-2001, 07:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

James, this is what mechanic charged me 2 years ago, and I live in the midwest where labor charges are lower. I would say it's a good deal. Plus, it sounds like he comes well recommended.
Old 06-02-2001, 08:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Sounds good to me James. I'm in Markham, Ontario. Can you E-Mail me this guys name and address I am in the process of getting some work done on my car also. He is a little out my way but if he does good work and stands by his work and doesn't overcharge, thats what I'm looking for.
Old 06-02-2001, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

That sounds about right for the labor. I had the same thing done to mine down in Texas and that's what I remember paying. While you are changing out the belts, you might want to consider changing out the water pump and thermostat, if they have a lot of mileage. The mechanic is going to be right there anyway and this saves you the expense of having to do it later on should your pump start to give out. Doesnt hurt to change out your front seals at this time also.
Old 06-02-2001, 09:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by 944azteca:
That sounds about right for the labor. I had the same thing done to mine down in Texas and that's what I remember paying. While you are changing out the belts, you might want to consider changing out the water pump and thermostat, if they have a lot of mileage. The mechanic is going to be right there anyway and this saves you the expense of having to do it later on should your pump start to give out. Doesnt hurt to change out your front seals at this time also.
He actually change the water pump already a year ago. the car only has 107,000KM or about 65,000 miles. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 06-03-2001, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by mlue:
Sounds good to me James. I'm in Markham, Ontario. Can you E-Mail me this guys name and address I am in the process of getting some work done on my car also. He is a little out my way but if he does good work and stands by his work and doesn't overcharge, thats what I'm looking for.
A&B Auto Repair Inc.
206 Wellington Street
London, Ontario, Canada
Tel: (519) 432-3090

Technician; Trevor Barnes

Old 06-03-2001, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Smile

Thanks James, I'll give him a call to setup an appointment.

Mark
86' 944NA

Old 06-04-2001, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: