Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Location: Saint Louis, Missouri, United States of America, Earth
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Allldi
Question Platinum 4's in S2

Has anyone ever heard anything bad about putting Bosch Platinum 4 spark plugs in an S2? I know that they aren't recommended for the turbo because with how hot they get combined with the high cylinder pressure due to forced induction can cause detonation. I know that they are o.k. in the N/A's because of the N/A's relatively lower cylinder pressure. But S2's have a compression ratio of 10.9:1, which is a little higher than the other N/A's. So can I still use them? By the way, what's the URL to Bosch's site?

------------------
Ryan
1991 944S2 coupe

[This message has been edited by Allldi (edited 06-03-2001).]

Old 06-03-2001, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I've been using them in my S for a few months with no problems along with an Vertex chip. Compression is the same in the S 10.9:1
Old 06-03-2001, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Angry

I've been using those pieces of crap for about a week. I put my 85.5na in the shop for it 63,000mile check-up..ie. plugs, oil change ect. i Used the +4's and ever since the car has trouble starting and has ALOT less power in its lower gears. take them out and get these, they are only available at race shops though.

BERU SILVERSTONE, they are much better than the platnums.

Thanks to Eurospec for that info...
Old 06-03-2001, 09:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Location: Saint Louis, Missouri, United States of America, Earth
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Allldi
Question

Thanks 85.5classic. Has anyone else had an experience similar to that of 85.5classic? Does anyone else use Beru Silverstone spark plugs?

------------------
Ryan
1991 944S2 coupe
Old 06-03-2001, 09:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Mein Gott!

Garage
I've also been using them in my S since October with no complaints whatsoever. There's been faster start-ups which is very noticeable.
Old 06-04-2001, 05:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

They works great for my S2.
Old 06-04-2001, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I used them for a little while in my 951 before I heard that they're not supposed to be used in a Turbo. But I didn't have any trouble with them while they were in, and the car got noticeably better gas mileage -- over 30mpg on the highway.
Old 06-04-2001, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

If the plugs didn't work right the odds are that they were the incorrect heat range. I've heard great things abuot +4's on all cars including turbos. But I believe that even Bosch reccomends against them in turbos.

On a side note, never listen to a Pep Boys parts man..lol. I just found out that I had plugs that were actually 4 ranges too hot for my turbo. The parts man seemed to think that the higher the Bosch numbers go, the colder the plug..lol. I guess the DME was retarding the timing as I was hearing some low-rpm knowck, but none up top (very smart computer). To get the correct ones for 400 hp I had to custom order some NGKs (non-platinum). NGK suggests varying the heat range every 75-100 hp. I beleive by varying the range by only one, the tip temperature changes around 90-100 degrees!

Erick
Old 06-04-2001, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I had them in my 951 til I found out not to use them. I then took them out and put them in my old na 944 daily driver and could feel the difference. I never had any problem with them in my turbo but put regular Bosch plat's back in it. I couldn't tell any power dif in my turbo but a couple HP wouldn't be noticabe it it anyway.

Old 06-04-2001, 10:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: