Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via ICQ to Brandon85-944 Send a message via AIM to Brandon85-944
Post A variety of colored smoke.....

Hey all, info: early 85 944 N/A 108,000 miles

Alright it's very stressfull to have a beautiful car like a porsche and to be ashamed to mash the gas pedal to the floor in fear of someone seeing the huge cloud of smoke just left behind... what makes it worst is that my color is hard to pinpoint....I know sometimes it's pure black others...it's grayish white....I know for a fact that I am burning oir beacause it's dropping fast...I only smoke above 4000 rpm's or higher whethe keeping it at a steady rpm or accelerating.... gas milage seems resonable...about 330 miles to the tank... what in the world is causing all this smoke...I've run about 4 bottles of techron through the car over a period of 4 months for the carbon build up....could this have anything to do with the PC valve (I think that's what it's called)...any other input.

thx..

Brandon 85-944

Old 06-04-2001, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Petie3rd

Send a message via Yahoo to Mrmerlin
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Brandon85-944:

Hi Brandon one note make shure you change the oil after the Techron use as the stuff will be removing deposits and they will eventually go into your oil ..that said how much oil are you burning? did you take a compression test? What do the plugs look like are all but one tan and one is oil fouled? From what your talking about it sounds like a broken ring however a compression test will help with the diagnosis..........Stan
Old 06-04-2001, 09:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Brandon85-944 Send a message via AIM to Brandon85-944
If I remeber correctly we replaced the plugs early when the problem was occuring (ngk platinums)and did a compression check and ,once again if I remeber correctly, the compression was around 160 for all plugs plus or minus 2 or so....none of the old plugs had any signs of oil on them.....any other suggestions?.....

thx..

Brandon85-944
Old 06-05-2001, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Petie3rd

Send a message via Yahoo to Mrmerlin
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Brandon85-944:
Hi Brandon how much oil is burning? any possibility that the wrong dipstick is in use I.E one that is shorter indicating that you dont have enough oil so instead of having say 6 qts of oil you have 8 or so in the pan, also you say there are no oil leaks has the oil cooler seals been changed , might there be a bad valve guide or a few bad guides, I dont think there is a way to test for a bad guideexcept to pull off the manifolds and look at the valve stems to see if they are covered in oil this is a big job but it might give you the answer you seek, I would pull off the intake first as this would let oil into the combustion chamber versus the exhaust ........Stan

Old 06-05-2001, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: