Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to ds475
how does the parking brake work?

one day i was driving along, and this a-hole was "tailgating" me, and my typical thing to do is, pull the parking brake so they don't know that i'm slowing down. well, i had never done that before in my 944, and when i did, it made some weird noise, and i was wondering, what kind of braking system does the parking brake use, and is that bad to pull the e-brake while moving? (will it hurt the car?)
Old 09-22-2003, 09:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

It could turn you sideways. It's a cable that uses drum brakes on the rear wheels.

"may the force be with you"
Old 09-22-2003, 09:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
not if you have disc brakes in the back... hehe

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Could still be a small drum break for the E-break.

I know Subaru's with rear disk's have a smaller drum break inboard of the rotor that is only the E-break.

Not sure of the '44 - never had the rear wheels off!

1985.5 944
Dodge Viper Blue on black/tan
white face gauges
throttle cam
short shift kit
Old 09-22-2003, 09:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

the parking brake are little drums....i would not use them if not parked...they have very little power even with car stopped...

I encourage you to dont do that,i can feel the car suffering a lot.Even if they donīt know you are braking,they could kick you,just be carefull.
Old 09-22-2003, 10:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

yea we have a disk/drum combo in the rear.
thats dangerous though. the 944 is pretty stable but if it were slippery (or in a lesser car) that could send you out of control. also if the tailgater doesnt notice they just might rear end you. if im trying to get some one off my ass i ussually spike the brake with my left foot so they see the brake lights and hopefully get the picture.
Old 09-23-2003, 12:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I use the Bat Oil Switch on my center console. Or is it the James Bond Oil Switch? Foils those tail gaters!

The e-brakes or parking brakes are smallish drum brakes intigrated into the inside of the rear disk brake rotors. Since the indicator light on many e-brake handles quits working from all of the crud that gets inbetween the seats, the e-brakes are left engaged and the shoes are worn off. This leaves the metal of the backing shoe to rub against the drum.

You really don't want to do this as a set of these brake shoes costs well over $60. Each drum can cost that much too.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!

Last edited by SoCal Driver; 09-23-2003 at 02:25 AM..
Old 09-23-2003, 02:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

It's possible that the "weird noise" was just a rusty drum surface - if the car sits for long the inside of the drum rusts - when the e-brake lever is pulled, it brings the shoes in contact with the rough surface, which can make a lot of noise while the surfaces grind together. (Mine does the same thing - I try to gently pull the e-brake lever at low speed to clean of the inside of the drums - it usually goes away guickly - but remember - this is a PARKING BRAKE - not to replace the much more powerful disk brakes.)

Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend doing this on the road to a tailgater - accident avoidence is a wise philosophy (and a sign of maturity).
Old 09-23-2003, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to perfecto951
which reminds me. why the hell did porsche put the e-brake on the left side? something to do with the driveline getting in the way? or did they just want to make me look like an ass every time i got into another car (when i start searching my left side for a handle)
Old 09-23-2003, 05:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jriley
I thought it was so my pants cuff would catch on it and cause me to fall out of the vehicle, tearing the cuff and making me look like an ass in front of the chicks I was trying to impress by driving a Porsche in the first place.

Last edited by jriley; 09-23-2003 at 07:38 AM..
Old 09-23-2003, 07:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to lilwolffeman
yeah it's there to give us all humility and make sure our heads don't get too big because of our cars.
Old 09-23-2003, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to stray15
this is one reason why I DON'T need a weapon in my car...i don't intentionally try to piss people off...

you are asking for it douch

to answer your question, it is a drum brake system for the ebrake in the rear. if your shoes are old, which they probably are, then they are probably all cracked and when you pulled it while moving it make all kinds of noises. i did that playing in the snow a few times to go around some turns and about 2 months later the shoes started coming off their backing and starting making all kinds of noises while driving so i had to replace them

Song currently listening too...:Tori Amos-A case of missing you...
Old 09-23-2003, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Hmmm, slowing down undetected with someone up your rear! thats really sensible, especially considering the price of a new rear window on a 944.

TOP TIP - if someone tailgates you, let them pass - You KNOW you're car is better, you dont have to prove it!!!

Plus- it's better to have them in front of you where you can see what they're up to.

You can't win or lose if there's no contest
( )'92 Renault Clio 1.4 :

Old 09-23-2003, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
the lever is on the left side to make the chicks you pick up and let sit in the drivers seat "enjoy" the car a little more ;-) hehe (or guys...)

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 09-23-2003, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to lilwolffeman
if someone tailgats me, i usually switch lanes and then follow him. cos chances are he's going faster and you can use him as a 'rabbit' for the cops.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Friend of Warren

Quote:
Originally posted by perfecto951
which reminds me. why the hell did porsche put the e-brake on the left side?
Real Porsches have them on the right side!

Gone, but not forgotten: '86 Carrera, '72 911E, 2001 Boxster
Old 09-23-2003, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Feral Cat

Yeah, I'd let 'im pass and use 'im as bait for the wolves. If it's a two-lane or he refuses to pass you might decide that this would be an excellent time to try out your windshield washers. That was the method to deal with tailgaters actually recommended to me by one of the instructors at Skip Barber. Or pretend to pick your nose and fling the result out the window.... But no, no, no don't try to get 'im to crash into you! A 944 is a tiny car compared to an SUV. Remember freshman Physics?

As to your original question, there's a smaller drum brake with narrow shoes in the center of the rear rotor. It's pictured in Haynes. It barely holds my car when it's parked, I always make sure the car is in gear.
Old 09-23-2003, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
Quote:
Originally posted by Kurt V
Real Porsches have them on the right side!
Yeah but those right hand drive 944s are so hard to come by...
Ahmet
Old 09-23-2003, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ds475
i thought the e-brake was on the left, so you could make it easier to use it when you are trying to go from a stop up hill... that's what i use it for... (or backwards up a driveway)

i like it better on the left, personally. it's a much better place for it instead of cluttering up the center console
Old 09-23-2003, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
meister member

Garage
They had to put something on the left. It's not the key switch. It's not the shifter. So it has to be the e-brake. That reduces the amount of tasks your right hand has to do to start the car and get it moving. If you leave your car in gear all you have to do is start your car with your right hand while at the same time releasing your e-brake with your left and your off. This is better than starting the car then releasing the e-brake using your right hand for both. Which is faster? Did you know the average driver waists 27 hours of thier life starting the car and releasing the e-brake so why not cut that time in half. Oh by the way did you know 80% of statistics are made up on the spot?
Favorite Road = www.tailofthedragon.com 318 turns in 11 miles (11 min 20 sec best run)
Old 09-23-2003, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: