Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Post Very odd but a good idea? (944t)

I went and looked at an 87 944t today. It was absolutely perfect, looked brand new. Anyway, there was a plastic evian type water bottle in the front right of the engine compartment with a rubber hose attached to it. I asked what it was and this is what he tells me: "if the head gasket should ever go, this bottle will start to fill and then I wont do any damage to the engine."

Does this work?? What was it connected too? If this really does work, its the coolest think ive seen in awhile.

edit: cant spell
------------------

[This message has been edited by BltByKrmn (edited 06-06-2001).]

Old 06-06-2001, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Petie3rd

Send a message via Yahoo to Mrmerlin
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BltByKrmn:

Hi Mr Karmann, hey it sounds like his windshield washer resivour is now the evian bottle. thats the only thing on the right hand front of the car as viewed from the drivers seat........now if this bottle is next to the radiator tank that is on the driverside front of the car under the hood, then he might have a problem with coolant leaking overboard this might indicate the need for a new factory radiator coolant cap, abot 12. bux from the dealer also to look for just next to the coolant tank is a small electric motor this is for cooling the turbo start the car and shut it off with the hood up and you standing next to the car listen for the pump as soon as you shut it off it will run for about 30 seconds..... otherwise I couldnt guess what else this water bottle is for .........Stan
Old 06-06-2001, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

he probably had it hooked to the overflow of the coolant reservoir. in certain instances of headgasket failure there will be excess pressure in the coolant system. a swollen or distorted reservoir is a sure sign that a car has had headgasket problems in the past or present. one way of testing headgasket failure is to remove the cap and see if coolant comes rushing out(while cold).
Old 06-06-2001, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

951carter, I think its your description because there was nothing in the bottle. If you were standing in front of the car, it would be in the front right corner in the engine compartment. He works at a Porsche dealership, so I guess he would know how to rig something like that up. I thought it was a pretty cool idea.

Thanks for the answers guys.

Tom
92 Corrado, but not for long!
Old 06-06-2001, 09:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Bradman951
Hmmm... well this isn't totally the same thing, but I know that Lindsey racing sells a fitting and hose that tap into the block near the fourth cylinder; it circulates coolant back into the resivoir. It is supposed to keep pressure from building near the fourth cylinder where the gasket usually blows... kinda similar.

'98 Volvo S70
Lazy thoroughbred
Old 06-28-2006, 10:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: