Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Post Exhaust stud removal

One member said he removed the header studs double nutting them and they came out faily easy. I'm getting ready to do that to my '86 951 to get my header off to weld a leak in the # 4 header flange. I was just wondering if that is the norm and if the studs most always come out easy. Anyone else removed them ? any problem getting the studs out without them breaking?

Old 06-05-2001, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The trick is to soak them in penetrating oil for at least 24 hours. I soaked mine, and actually drove the car around with smoke from the oil burning, then soaked them again, the next day before removing them, and I was lucky that none of them broke. Just go easy on them and use the right tools (1/2 inch wrench and 1/2 inch socket).
Don't forget to soak the bolts and nuts on the lower end of the headers as well, as you will need to remove them to get the header out of the car.

Good luck.
Old 06-05-2001, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Petie3rd

Send a message via Yahoo to Mrmerlin
[QUOTE]Originally posted by T86951:
Hi bro the double nut thing should work well but B4 you do anything get some PB Blaster I think you can get it at NAPA this stuff works the best on disssimilar metals, soak the nuts the nite B4 you start it will help if the engine is warm NOT hot, soak em then do it again when you start, this should almost gaurantee no problems also think about installing new studs and put some anti seiz on the studs ........Stan
Old 06-05-2001, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I just went through this recently. Use PB Blaster and double nut. Crank the nuts together tightly so that the box end of the wrench turns both of them whil you're removing them. I would also advise new studs. They're about $1.15 ea from the dealer. The nuts are $4.25 ea. Look back about three weeks or so for my post on the ordeal. Good Luck.

Dave951M
Old 06-06-2001, 02:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

if the header and pipe are out of the car, heat it up with a torch till cherry erd. see how easy it comes off. if not then use an impact wrench......i rent a portable aircompressor........get an impact wrnech ...well worth the money........
Old 06-06-2001, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Double nutting worked for me after I red
Loctited them. Use two wrenches, that way the bending moment cancels.
Old 06-06-2001, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

i have never used any spray and have always double nutted them. i have never had one break off on me while pulling them. i did 2 sets last week and 1 this week. that is not however a guarantee that it wont happen to you, just my experiences.
Old 06-06-2001, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

thanks everyone! I got a can of PB blaster today and will use it. Dave I read about your experience and will follow your advise. Just wondered if others had their studs come out without breaking. Thanks everybody, I will go forward now with more confidence about not breaking studs now.

Old 06-06-2001, 10:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: