Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Post Need advice BADLY--Ok, whose got an auto?

Wondering if or how often the 'damping flex plate' is replaced...I'm looking into an '83 944 auto w/ 32,000 mile. IF it has the orginal flex plate, that would make it 18 years old...someone has told me the normal lifespan of these is 5-8 years, regardless of milage!!

Is there anything in particular (tranny-wise) to look for when test driving??

Tim

Old 06-05-2001, 06:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Cebu
I have an 86na automatic with 149,000 miles. If there is no looseness (slap or Jerk) in the drive line when selecting forward, reverse and when transmission shifts, then I don't see a problem. The components don't wear according to years. With brake applied do short accelerator taps with trans selector in "D" then "R" and listen and feel for looseness in drivetrain.
Old 06-05-2001, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I have an 88 auto with 70K on it and like everything else on this car when I got it, I'm sure the flex plate is original. I do have some looseness/play that is most noticeable during less than gradual stops. You know, so I stop at the light instead of getting my picture taken again :-)

Trans will thump hard as it downshifts from 3rd to 1st. Acceleration seems smooth enough. Is this an indication of excess wear, somthing that can be adjusted, or what? I don't think my problem is a flex plate issue, seems more like the play is in the torque tube.
Old 06-05-2001, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Smile

Well it sounds like this might not be as big of a problem as I thought...basicly I just didn't want to buy a time bomb ...I've never owned an automatic so this is all new territory.

Tim
Old 06-05-2001, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Heh, My auto has 182K original flex plate. Grandpa never replaced it.

Heh, just for the preverbal hell of it I put up a 944 auto fourm on my server. I just installed the BBS a couple of days ago so dont be shocked if something goes wrong.

http://alphax.dhs.org

[This message has been edited by Ven (edited 06-05-2001).]
Old 06-05-2001, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Wink

Why would you want an automatic??

Dave951M
Old 06-05-2001, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Easy answer: Price!!
$32,000 mile for $5000 is tough to beat right? College takes most of my cash, otherwise I would get a 951.
Old 06-05-2001, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

If you're not set on an auto, the price for a NA around here (NC) is in the $4-5k range for a good one. My 951 was less than $6k. Granted, I'm taking care of a couple of problems and since I was a wrench in another lifetime, it hasn't been bad. The other issue to remember if you're concerned about cost is gas mileage, the auto gets in the low 20s, a properly tuned NA or 951 will be in the high 20s to low 30s. Mine gets about 27 putting around town, it gets 30 on the interstate. Yes, I have checked this and check my mileage with every fillup. That way I have an early warning system if something is starting to go wrong. Autos are fine if that's what you really want, just get a good one.

Dave951M
Old 06-06-2001, 02:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Low 20's? Try the mid to high teens. When out on the highway my 944 auto gets near 22 miles a gallon. I have done the math. If you have to drive it in stop and go traffic i.e. downtown Atlanta you get somewhere between 15 and 18 mpg. But hey thats why I got an auto.
Old 06-06-2001, 04:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Cebu
Got my 86na Auto for $2,500 and I use it instead of my BMW 5-speed in downtown Atlanta traffic.
Old 06-06-2001, 05:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Exactly, same here!
Old 06-06-2001, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Its not that I'm dead set on an auto, I would really rather have a manual, but I know I'll never find another car in the same condition for the same price...I'll just be happy getting a good 944.

why the poor gas milage?? is the tranny a 2 speed or something :-) serious though, I guess the autos are geared lower or something to that effect.

Tim
Old 06-06-2001, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Yes, I noticed after looking around. As a general rule autos are in better cosmetic shape as well as mechanical. And for the most parts all of the ones I have seen were LOADED with most options avaiable. Mine has all options with the exception of the rear wiper.
Old 06-06-2001, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Automatics will always get poorer gas milage than a manual. Manly because of the torque converter. Your engine spins the torque converter and that spins the rest of the driveline. There is power and milage lost in the viscouse coupling there.

Thats why, given a skilled stick man and equal cars. a manual will always be faster.

------------------
If you drive it, Race it
Dave
'87 944
Old 06-06-2001, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

1st as far as my auto goes, I just did some mileage tests a found I was getting about 25mpg. Half the tank was spent commuting to work (30 miles oneway), and the other half on a long trip with the AC on the whole time.

2nd go back and read the 100th issue of Excellence, I think that is the one with the shoot out at Sears Point where Danny Sullivan test drove four late model 911's. He and the other test driver consisently bettered the lap times of the manual gearboxes with a 911 tiptronic.

I realize that's a big difference than my measly 3sp auto, but your last statement is not always a true one
Old 06-06-2001, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I read the same article and I wouldn't equate the Tiptronic with a normal auto any more than a bus with a 911. There are similarities but the normal auto has the shift points "hard coded" in the valve body. The torque converters work very differently as well. I would view the Tiptronic as more of a marriage of the two technologies, but incorporating the best of both. That's why F1 cars use it as well. I'd love to have it but hey, I can't afford a new 911 either.

Dave951M
Old 06-06-2001, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Ok, here is something to get you gears turning. Could you retrofit a tiptronic system from a 968 into a 944? I know here 3/4'th of a 968 is. It looked like it had the front end knocked off it. I know anything can be done with enoufgh money and personally have no desire to do such a thing. But the thought has crossed my mind.
Old 06-06-2001, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

after some careful thought, maybe the manual is a better choice even if the overall condition of the car isn't quite as good...I'm going to check out a manual either this weekend or next (its a good trip), then if thats doesn't work out i'll get the automatic. I might have to buy some carpeting for the manual, but I don't mind don't some repairs...

I think someone said that they were a wrench in another lifetime before, well I was a cresent wrench--sometimes things get a little roughed up, but the job gets done!!

Tim

[This message has been edited by timsirk (edited 06-06-2001).]
Old 06-06-2001, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MBuck951
Alright, talking about automatics. My daily driver for the last two+ years has been my NA. You know what, its not that bad. In fact, with my 2.7 feels much better down low than my turbo, even at 114k miles. Like you said, they tend to be better taken car of and be loaded with options. Mines got ABS, dual power/heated seats, 10speaker stereo, etc.. All stuff my one year older turbo doesn't!

My flex plate went at 95k. Had new torque tube put in at same time. Rebuilt diff at 105k and now the car shifts beautifully. So it hasn't been cheap to maintain, but hey neither is my turbo. Lots of short trips in town can put mpg in looowww teens!

IMHO, my auto is 1000times better as a daily driver. No waiting to cool down like turbo, or clutch work in beltway traffic.

mike "1st post" buck
'89 NA auto
'88 951
Old 06-07-2001, 09:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

I own a 924 parts car that has an auto in it. The flex plate I assume is the rubber centered thing bolted to the flywheel on mine it was starting to get cracks in it. Is the flywheel is the same as in a manual trans?

How does a triptronic differ from a normal auto? Is it like a slap stick auto like are now being offered in cars or is it an automated manual like semis use? I'm not very familair with autos but my understanding of the new ones is they are computer controlled on the shift points not hard coded in the valve body. How do the torque converters differ? From what I know about F1 cars is they use a automated manual. I hope some of this makes sense. Thanks for any help.

Old 06-07-2001, 11:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: