Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Post Should I buy this dead 944?

I found this dealer who has a early '85 944 for sale. He said he had driven it to the auction to have it actioned off. The next day, they called him and said it wouldn't start. He towed it back to his place and replaced coil. It will only crank, but not start. Should I buy this? He's asking $1500 for it. I've not seen this car, I'm going to tomorrow. If the exterior looks nice and I don't find any leaks, should I take it? Or is it just gonna be a money pit?

Old 06-05-2001, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Somebody at the auction probably jump started it wrong and fried the DME. For 1500 though seems high unless it spotless but just not running. I bought mine dead for $800 and it was 85.5. Maybe he will bargain with you.
Old 06-05-2001, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Banned

before you think of a spiked DME, consider just replacing the DME relay. (dont let him know it may be an easy fix, the price will go up... let him think its a dead whatever) A clue to the dead relay is that the car will crank over but not start. Yes, the posibility of damage from a poor jump start still exists.

I'd bring no more than $1000. to the table. (start at about 5 or 6 and stand your ground. It sounds like he just wants to get rid of the car so help him... be prepared to walk away and certinly let him know that this is not the only 944 in the world) The car was going to be sold at a cut rate anyway...if it's an early car, and you want a dead car with the possbile m-pit problems, go for it... you never know, it could be a clean car and a super easy fix... you win
Old 06-05-2001, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Make sure to do a compression test before buying it. The last guy I talked to who purchased a car in this condition had it turn out to be a broken timing belt and bent valves.

-Tabor
Old 06-05-2001, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Cool

Yes! Do a compression test first! Then if it's not the timing belt, go for it!!

------------------
PORSCHE There is no Substitute!
Old 06-05-2001, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Rollins Send a message via AIM to Rollins
Can you do one if the car won't start?
Old 06-05-2001, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
yes, as long as it cranks (fast enough) you can measure compression.

Old 06-05-2001, 12:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

So I have to tow it to a shop to have compression tested? Is there like a portable tool I can rent so I can do it right there?
Old 06-05-2001, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

All you need is a compression gauge. They are not that much
Old 06-05-2001, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

so what's good compression? And how do I know if the timing belt has broken before, causing piston slap and such? Remember, this car won't start...
Old 06-05-2001, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
i'm guessing 150-160 would be good numbers. you can run a search here to find other discussions on 944 compression numbers. if the valves are bent due to a broken timing belt, you won't get compression.

Old 06-05-2001, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Rollins:
Can you do one if the car won't start?
Yes! When taking a compression test, you must make sure that the engine will not start. Just incase, Pull out the Coil wire that goes to the distributor. If timing belt broke, you will have a compression of 0 lbs in the damage cylinders because of bent vales.

This is how a compression tester looks.

------------------
PORSCHE There is no Substitute!

[This message has been edited by 88_944 (edited 06-05-2001).]
Old 06-05-2001, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I'm guessing that the plug for the gauge goes into the spark plug hole. So do I need to bring a socket to remove the plugs?
Old 06-05-2001, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to CrazySOB
Yes, you have to remove the spark plug, screw the tester in, crank over the engine, read and right down cylinder# and results. go to the next one do the same till your done.

Steve
Old 06-05-2001, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Don't want to sound facetious, but why don't you also bring a mechanical minded friend to help you evaluate the car. You can check cooling, brake, suspension systems without the car running. Anything else gang? Welcome and aloha, Neal
Old 06-05-2001, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Petie3rd

Send a message via Yahoo to Mrmerlin
[QUOTE]Originally posted by CrazySOB:

One other thing if the battery is good you should crank it for 6 compression strokes per cylinder also remove all the plugs B4 you start the test and ground the coil wire hope you get some pressure......stan
Old 06-05-2001, 08:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
88_944:

do NOT take the secondary igniton wire out of the coil (going into the distributor), that'll damage your coil/ignition system. Disconnect the lead INTO the coil, and ground it.

I believe you can find directions in the Haynes, and factory manuals if you need that.
Ahmet

------------------
It's all the driver...
My page over1g@hotmail.com
Porsche owners Gallery.../My 944
Old 06-06-2001, 02:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

what size socket do I need to bring to remove the spark plug?
Old 06-06-2001, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

newb.

wrong track.

Don't compression test, do a LEAK DOWN.

you will need a portable air tank and a leak-down tester. (you can probably rent both)

THIS will tell you not only if the engine isn't holding compression, but also WHERE the damage is (intake valves, or exhaust valves, or rings) and on which cylinder.

If your leak down is good, or its just a bent valve situation, and the car is in really good shape, it is probably worth a grand or so. Keep in mind that you will have no idea of the condition of clutch/transmission/brake system.

Be sure to cheak all the electricals you can as well.

Good Luck.
Old 06-06-2001, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Red face

This sounds like a good canidate for a renegade hybrid!...if your into that sort of thing.

------------------
ribs, 86' 951

Old 06-06-2001, 03:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: