Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Post Supercharged NA

Anyone tried the Rimmer supercharger conversion yet? There is one for sale on Rennlist for a decent amount of cash. I have supercharged Chevy blocks before, but never European. I love the sound and power of a supercharged car, and the price is right for me. What do you think?

Old 06-08-2001, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Thumbs up

How much are they charging? I heard Rimmers are reliable so I say go for it. I think it gives you 240/250 HP so you will be set!

Sleeper 944

------------------
85.5 Porsche 944
Old 06-08-2001, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
supercharging typically boosts hp by 40-50%. so for an '86 for example, you could expect 60 or 70 hp. the fact that nobody on this board has done it tells me something.

Old 06-08-2001, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

At $2900.00 it is probably more cost effective to buy a 951 which includes the improved styling, brakes and suspension

Pics of the one offered for sale are here...
http://photos.yahoo.com/black_944
Old 06-08-2001, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
But, my NA is completely restored, new clutch, motor, and body. I fear that I would have to start over with a 951. Rather than just upgrade my already perfect NA.
Old 06-08-2001, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Unhappy

If you look at the rimmer page they have taken the 944 supercharger off it. Don't know why, it's been like that for a while though.

Chris
Old 06-08-2001, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Bay Area Patriot

I'm with Scott R, I put about 10,000 in my 944 NA already, going to a 951 would make me lose a lot of money...however it is worth it...but i love my baby.... I'll just have to buy a 951 without trading it in! EZ Financing here I come =)

------------------
Porsche. Es gibt keinen Ersatz.
Old 06-08-2001, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Yea, I think I am gonna do it. I have spoken with the seller and it looks pretty good. I am an accomplished mechanic, and I think the install will go pretty easy. I hope to get "turbo type" acceleration from a N/A when it's all said and done. I have looked at several 951's here in Colorado and none of them so far have even been worth fixing up. I just think I would have to start all over again with a used 951. versus this solution.
Old 06-08-2001, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Thumbs up

I think its great that you are venturing out into the "upgrade NA" world, but I caution you as to the effect that much power will have on the stock chassis, clutch, and tranny. To do it right you should at least have the suspension, wheels, and brakes to match. In addition, does the NA have an oil cooler? Let us know how it turns out.

Erick
Old 06-08-2001, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Yes it has an oil cooler. Just resealed a few weeks ago. As for the clutch it's brand new, Sachs performance line. Tranny is freshly rebuilt with new R&P from precision gear. Have some Koni adjustables on the way. What other suspension and or mods would you recommend to insure that everything goes well?
Old 06-08-2001, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Good stuff Scott...can't wait to hear the results...My son has a 924 and he has way more into it that he would ever recover if he sold it...Come to think of it the car has a substantial amount of my coin in it as well...perhaps that is the definition of passion
Old 06-08-2001, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
With the proper fuel control and knock control, it should work fine. With turbo kit in my N/A I was about 210-220hp at 6psi. I could beat some 5.0 rustangs off the line and keep on going. I have invested too much in the car even before the turbo so I would be very reluctant to part with my car.
Old 06-09-2001, 01:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I'd go with a least mild suspension like 220 # up front and maybe 26-27 mm torsions in the back. Also, make sure to get a cambermeister with the Konis. My setup, which is a bit tight is 275 front and 28 mm rear. I'm also running 17's.

Erick

[This message has been edited by wolfrpi (edited 06-09-2001).]
Old 06-09-2001, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Well I spoke with the owner and cut the deal today. He says that he has several pulleys that give you a 5psi to 12psi boost range. Easy install on the 85.5. He also has a H2O injector kit with it, buit at 5280ft (Denver CO) I should not need it. So I should have it installed in a few weeks, and report back on it then.
Old 06-09-2001, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
it's so easy to terminally damage a supercharger by going with a smaller pulley that it's not designed for. you better do some research first. better yet, consider finding a nice 951.

Old 06-09-2001, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Three pulley sizes all from the manufacturer. Should not be a problem.
Old 06-09-2001, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
which manufacturer, the sc itself (i.e. eaton) or the seller of the kit? that makes a big difference. like the difference between having years of fun with your setup or having an induction system that has a shorter lifetime than an import dragster.

check out what happens when you run a pulley that a supercharger is not designed to use:

http://www.theoldone.com/articles/damaged-blower/index.html

Old 06-09-2001, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
It's the rimmer kit, I am told it neither Eaton or PAxton, but a Sweedish manufacturer.

Old 06-09-2001, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: