Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Misterious knob

Hi another time!!

I want to ask you about a thing i just remembered...I have a knob in my dashboard I donīt know what is it for.My cousin (previous owner)even couldīnt told me what is it....it seems nobody knows what is that thing.I hadīnt saw it in other 944īs.

Itīs located next to the clock and the lighter,in the same line that the button to open the glove compartment (it is the correct name?).Iīve just remembered it,so i donīt have exact pics,but here are a pair i took long time ago,not very clear,so you can see more or less where it is.

Itīs a bit hard to turn,and there is a kind of mechanism behind.Maybe someone has the same knob,or is an addon,but would like to know...

Thanks!

Old 09-27-2003, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

thats either the button that launches the missles out of the tailpipe or the eject button, depends on which option the original owner got.
Old 09-27-2003, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
Maybe someone wired up a boost controller behind it?? Never seen it before...
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 09-27-2003, 05:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
Yeah, certainly looks custom, and I'd bet that it is.

You could always see what's behind it...
Ahmet
Old 09-27-2003, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
you could always get a bunch of people to surround your car turn it on and start turning away at the knob to see if anyone notices anything. if that doesnt work start taking things apart until you find out what it does... could it be a dimmer knob? ar maybe its a color changing knob?! as you turn it your car phases through different colors of the rainbow!!!

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 09-27-2003, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

definitely does not appear to be original. the glove compartment box (yes, you used the right word) is easy to remove so you should be able to find out what it's for without too much difficulty.

do me a favor though, kill that air freshener
Old 09-27-2003, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
Just remove the screws holding the trim and see whats back there.
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 09-27-2003, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
What would Darth Vader do

Send a message via Yahoo to Gordon Rankin
Just dont touch that knob !!
NEVER put a used water pump in your car...
Old 09-27-2003, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

can he do it??
will he be able to resist the temptation of
the SHINY RED BUTTON!?!

(ren & stimpy)
Old 09-27-2003, 10:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Iīm going to take a little flight now so i will take the 951....i will try the knob (i usually forget it)...if it is the ejection seat or the self destruct device....Goodbye to all! nice to meet you!

However,iīll try to teke at least better pics.And if itīs a boost controller.....Christmas time!!!!
Old 09-28-2003, 04:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

whatever you do, don't turn the knob all the way to the right! That is an option that Porsche put on at exceptional expense. In the event of a catastrophic engine fire, you are supposed to turn the knob all the way to the right and it pops the engine mounts, releases the hood latch, drops the drive shaft, and launches the motor out of the engine compartment vertically in order to spare the rest of the vehicle from fire/loss.
Old 09-28-2003, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I am going to have to go with Missles...
Old 09-28-2003, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

"I am going to have to go with Missles..."

Explain please....advanced english for me!
Old 09-28-2003, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Well,i came back in one piece from my flight....

I tried the knob,but itīs very hard to turn....i see no effect.I had no time to remove nothing,so I took a look to the splits I could...As far i can see,itīs a kind of electrical mechanism behind,something like a rheostat...but turning the knob turns the entire device body,it seems itīs unscrewed or something...
If itīs something electrical,i donīt know how can i know what is it...Í donīt like electrical things because i often fry something.

I took some pics,here they are...they really explain nothing,but they are a bit clear. I took off the plastic knob just to see a bit of the mechanism....it tells nothing,but itīs the only thing i could do now...

Is another topic,but since I took pics,take a look at my dashboard lights with ignition on...I think they are very dimmed,and they are at maximun brightness.And also,as i discussed in another thread,oil light must be on,like the alternator one,really?

By the way,i bet your car doesīnt display that when you put you position lights!
Old 09-28-2003, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Oh one more thing...itīs really so awful the air fresher??

At least it smells well hehe
Old 09-28-2003, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I was hopping it was the automatic beer dispenser.

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 09-28-2003, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

what does the little picture on the button look like? could that give a clue?

the dash lights are not very bright in these cars. even if all the bulbs are working. and yes, we don't have the nifty german wording on our car's instrument clusters (handbremse, begrenzungslicht - if that's what you were talking about)
Old 09-28-2003, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Yes I mean the german stuff! Itīs curious how they name that things.

The little picture on the button is what you see,a kind of very simple arrow....

If itīs a boost controller,it would be mechanical (i suppose),and that thing is electrical.Maybe a radar,maybe a satellite connection to the pentagon....or even with E.T.....itīs still a mystery!
Old 09-28-2003, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Oddly enough, looking at the pictures you took. It looks factory, or someone was exceptionally handy with a drill.

Your best bet is to pull the glovebox, and start following the wires, and try to determine what they are hooked to. Who knows, maybe the PO was using that as a volume knob for the stereo at some time.
02 Altima SE 3.5 - grocery go-getter
00 Yellow Ducati Monster 900i.e. 88 Chrysler Conquest TSi
Old 09-28-2003, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

I'm totally curious now as to what it could be. the button actually reminds me of older generation VW control knobs. with the knob off, it definitely looks like a rheostat of some sort
Old 09-28-2003, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: