Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Cool Question for all you welders out there

What is the effect on the 944's electronics when welding (MIG/TIG) on the chassis? I really don't want to fry anything expensive; does anyone have any experience with this?

I have to weld my driver seat rail supports back to the floor pan tomorrow. The engine I just rebuilt is so powerful it ripped the driver's seat right out of the floor (he he he...)

-Tom
Old 09-27-2003, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

What I've heard is disconnect the battery, and hook your welder's ground as close to the area you're welding as possible.

Sam
Old 09-27-2003, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

BTW, is the floor pan aluminum or steel?
Old 09-27-2003, 08:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Steel

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 09-28-2003, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I've never unhooked batteries when welding on a car...... But then again, I don't recommend doing that either, pull the negative terminal.

Maybe even go as far as what FRWilk mentioned, as no one knows our DME better.
02 Altima SE 3.5 - grocery go-getter
00 Yellow Ducati Monster 900i.e. 88 Chrysler Conquest TSi
Old 09-28-2003, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to bigyagi
pull off the battery negative wire. this will protect against damaging the rectifier pack in your alternator. disconnect the dme unit--very important.
as an alternative, why not consider brazing, or gas-welding?
regards, bob.
2002 grand am--better halfs ride.
olds 98 royal brougham--gone, but not forgotten.
Old 09-28-2003, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Because TIG welding is sooooooo much fun!
Old 09-28-2003, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
roger that^

i wouldn't take any risks when welding onto the chassis. The electrical components might be as electrically fragile as ever.

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 09-28-2003, 09:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Aluminum or steel????? How about seeing if a magnet sticks to it....
1987 328GTS
2011 528i
Old 09-29-2003, 02:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to bigyagi
anyways, my drivers seat came away, as i was pulling out of my driveway! quite a surprise, as i shot backwards, and had to take a firm grip of the wheel, to keep the seat in position!! had to laugh afterwards,but VERY glad that it did not happen on the freeway instead.
i removed the seat, and found that the nut that fits under the small panel, had pulled thru completely{both sides}. the metal was no good, with cracks, and too much wear, to try and re-seat it .
so, i cut 2 steel strips, about 1" wide x 4" long, 0.080" thick, and rivited them in position, with the clearance hole in, and nut fitted. then, at work, i gas-welded the strips, and no problems! it only raises the front mounting points by 0.080", or 2 millimetres, if you prefer.
anyone not having had this problem, i would seriously ask you to take your drivers seat out, and check the mounting points. you may not be so lucky!!
regards, bob.
2002 grand am--better halfs ride.
olds 98 royal brougham--gone, but not forgotten.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

That's exactly what happened here, but I haven't had a chance to fix it yet. I'll have time to do it tomorrow.

The PO didn't think this was a big deal....I guess he didn't mind going to full recline when he hit the gas. Good point about checking this stuff, maybe we can talk Porsche into doing a recall to beef up our seat mounts? yeah right......
Old 09-29-2003, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
i bet if someone got into an accedent and the seat just 'ripped' out someone here could be a very very rice person... mmm... i smell a law suit...

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 09-30-2003, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Well, I got this fixed today. I did pretty much what Bigyagi did, but I disconnected the DME and MIG'd it. No problems with the electronics, and it sure feels nice to have a solid seat under my butt.

Thanks for your advice, everybody!
Old 09-30-2003, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: