Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Looking to get a fire extinguisher

I've probably already waited too long........but I think it is time to get a fire extinguisher for the 944. The thought of my baby dying in a firey blaze as I watch helplessly is pretty scary.

Does anyone have any input as to where I should mount it? What type of extingusher should I get? Any other issues or things I should know...such as shipping one of these things?

Thanks.

-Troy
Old 09-28-2003, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

My 924 has a fire mount in the passenger foot well on the right side. (is this stock?) It is in relativly easy reach of the driver. Make sure that it is rated for liquid fuel fires.

If it ain't broken, drive it until something is.

Have you spent quality time with your Engine Gnome lately?

Defend Your Joy
Old 09-28-2003, 09:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

You could always mount it to the A pillar like the ricers do. Since most of them on this island don't wear their seat belt, I assume it is used most often for letting their brains see the light of day.

There is a kit that mounts it to the pass side seat, so that it will slide forward and back with the seat. Pelican? Or one of the racer catalogs.

Always good to have a fire extinguisher in a 20 year old car!

1991 944S2 Rally #951 Rally-America.com
Old 09-29-2003, 12:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I have one mounted on the fender well behind the driver seat,easy to get to and dosn't look ricey,or get in the way.
928 OC member
PCA member
Old 09-29-2003, 01:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

If you can still get them in the States I'd go for Halon gas extinguisher rather than a powder based affair. If the fire doesn't make enough mess for you then all that powder will certainly more than compensate.

1991 944 (automatic) 2.7 litre 16 valve na and pas

"I have only five words for you: From my cold, dead hands."
Old 09-29-2003, 04:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Dark Skies
If you can still get them in the States I'd go for Halon gas extinguisher rather than a powder based affair. If the fire doesn't make enough mess for you then all that powder will certainly more than compensate.
There are "Halon alternatives" which are still available in the U.S. Pricey, but they do the job without leaving a powdery mess. Also, not great to use within the passenger compartment as they displace air (and the oxygen within it), but probably no better or worse (in allowing the driver and passenger to keep breathing) than dry chem types.

Tom
Old 09-29-2003, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Pelican sell H3R Halon units. Is 1.25 lbs too small? Where can I get the mounts that attach/move with the pass. seat?
Old 09-29-2003, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Here is a link to some extinguisher equipment for 944's, including brackets:
http://www.livermoreperformance.com/Safecraft%20Fire%20systems.html
There have also been some positive comments about the mount from Stable Energies:
http://www.stable-energies.com/exting/index.htm

Good luck,
Tom
Old 09-29-2003, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

You need to know how to use it too - if you dont you're more of a danger to yourself than the fire.

Eg if you suspect an engine fire DONT open the hood - this'll ventilate the fire. Instead open it a crack and fire the extinguisher in through the gap.

Mark

2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe, 280hp, Black
Old 09-29-2003, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: