Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

is it worth it???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6434&item=2434892359
Old 09-29-2003, 03:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

yeah, go for it, just nothing over $5000

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 09-29-2003, 03:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
He's done a lot on the typical things that go wrong. If compression is OK sounds a good deal.
Old 09-29-2003, 04:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

The only thing that jars is that the mileage seems a little on the light side for a car that's seventeen years old. That works out at around 24 miles per day since it rolled out of the factory. The guy selling it sounds pretty straight up but that doesn't mean to say that he wasn't misled as to the mileage by the previous seller. Call me a cynical old Brit but I live in a very tiny country compared to the States but my car has only a year over the car on auction and she's seen three rotations of the clock - admittedly I do a lot of high mileage work but even so ...

1991 944 (automatic) 2.7 litre 16 valve na and pas

"I have only five words for you: From my cold, dead hands."
Old 09-29-2003, 05:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
"The only thing that jars is that the mileage seems a little on the light side for a car that's seventeen years old."

ummmmm my car is 20 years old and I have 105,000 miles LESS than him.
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 09-29-2003, 06:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
How do you know it's 105,000 and not 205,000? The 83's have only five digit odometers.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 09-29-2003, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCal Driver
How do you know it's 105,000 and not 205,000? The 83's have only five digit odometers.
Actually it is specified as 150+k in the auction, and this makes sense from the CarFax which the seller has provided a free link to. Looks correct based on the last reported "event" in March, '03.

The thing that gets me about this auction is the willingness of the seller to keep dropping his reserve price, now to $3.5k for an '86!! And what is meant by the comment "Lowered Reserve 951"? Also this guy is selling off a brand new eBay account.

I guess that I would be a little worried about bidding on this car. Seller really eager to sell and using a new eBay account, where it won't matter if he gets flamed for misrepresenting this sale. I wouldn't put any money on this one unless and until I could have someone check the car out in person, preferably a mechanic during a PPI.

Tom
Old 09-29-2003, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
that's why you need a full service history whenever you buy a car.
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 09-29-2003, 09:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I have looked at a few eBay cars that were from local sellers. The car would always look worse in person and there would be undisclosed issues. So you factor that into your bid. That said, this guy has done more than most in describing the cars faults. The winning bidder will probably discover more. But really, where is there a 951 for sale in good condition with a perfect service history for $3500?

The only way to take the gamble out of the deal is to fly down to Tucamcari with your mechanic and have a look. That might cost you more than the bid.
Old 09-30-2003, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: