Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Arrow Electrical Mayhem!!

LONG:

I have been having some electrical issues. The most current one is that my whole right side of the car won't light up. When I first noticed this problem I changed the tail light bulb even though it was not burned (I thought that maybe somehow i was still looking at a burned bulb) The only thing that does light up from the right side of the car is the headlight. I checked all of my fuses and they all seem to be okay. My passenger's side fan also stopped working a while ago, so I replaced the relay 141.951.253B but it still does not work. I just placed an order for relay 944.615.113.01 . Also, my thermoswitch has been replaced.
While driving tonight back from school My seatbelt light came on and then turned off. This happened twice. Also my radio doesn't work ever since I changed to a manual antenna. I think the previous owner had a stereo system and my guess is when they took it out they left everything half-a$$ed'. My car also had an alarm but it started draining my battery for some unknown reason. So I took it out and I think it had a relay with it. But it's a Bosch relay ( 12V 20/30A. 0 332 204 150) It has pins 85,86,87a,87,30. This relay wasn't part of the relay box, it was part of all of the alarm wiring (or was it?? ). My mpg gauge has never worked since I bought the car also.
SHORT:
Here is a list of order of events.
1. Alarm removed because it drained battery.
2. Changed from power antenna (which didn't work) to manual antenna but radio didn't work after that.
3. Changed battery ground and ignition switch.
4.Passenger side fan stopped working. Changed thermoswitch. Still not working. Running fan with a switch now connected to battery.
5. Noticed tail light was not lit. Changed bulb, but nothing. Fuses are okay.
6. Changed relay 141.951.253B. Passenger side fan still does not turn on. Drivers side fan turns on when I turn on the AC.
7. Tonight coming back from school, noticed that it's the whole right side (passenger) external lights are not on, but the headlights are.

These problems seem to mount up as time goes on. All of these problems have happened over a span of a couple of months. I have been trouble shooting and still no success. Someone please help me, I am really starting to hate wires,fuses, and relays

-Gus.
pictures
Old 09-29-2003, 09:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
The tail lights use one harness that routs around the left (drivers) side of the car under the door transom cover.

The front running lights, including the headlights, also use one harness from the fuse block.

I would look at the headlight switch and the wires between it and the fuse block. All of the power to the running lights go through this switch.

The other source of problems with running lights is the turn signal switch assembly. But check the running light switch first.

As to your radio; did you pull the antenna cable through to the radio or did you reuse what was there?
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 09-30-2003, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks Soca, I'll check the lights tonight if it doesn't get too dark when I get back. Regarding the radio, I pulled the antenna cable all the way to the radio. Would the wires from the old power antenna cause a loss of radio use?

-Gus.
pictures
Old 09-30-2003, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I will test a radio before I go through the trouble of installing it. A car battery, antenna and a speaker.

If your radio comes on then you would expect it to work. Pull it out and stick a four foot wire into the center connection in the antenna socket and turn it on. There is no voltage or any way that you will harm the radio. If the radio has an auto scan feature in FM use it. Should start locking in on FM stations in your (our) area.

If you radio does not come on then you have to find the power lead that the key switches. Some radios have a fused power lead. Check that fuse.
Old 09-30-2003, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

The radio used to work fine before, it came with the car. I will try and do what you said. But regarding the right side of my lights on the car. It is now fixed. I was curious about the fuses when looking for the wires that you told me about. I took a look at my right side marker fuse. It looked good and is not burned out. But I replaced it anyway with an old fuse and wala! The right side lights would now turn on but the left wouldnt. I replaced the left side marker fuse and now the all the light's are working. Thanks again!!

-Gus.
pictures
Old 09-30-2003, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Good! Carry extra fuses as you don't know what the fault was that caused them to blow in the first place.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

When you say the radio doesn't work, do you mean no power or just lousy reception?

If you have no power I would suspect that the live wire to the power antenna got shorted to ground and blew the fuse in the supply to the radio. Try to find the live feed to the power antenna and disconnect it - then replace the fuse.

Mark

2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe, 280hp, Black
Old 09-30-2003, 10:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Yeah, the radio just doesn't work. Does not turn on.
pictures
Old 10-01-2003, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Could also be the reason the fuses were blown for the lighting. The electic antenna power take off at the fuse block or the wiring being kibble-floched at the back of the radio.
Old 10-01-2003, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

What did you do with the live wire that used to connect to the power antenna?

Mark

Old 10-01-2003, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

If I remember correctly I think I just tied them up somewhere next to the charcoal canister. I will get to it this friday and cap it off. How do I know which one is the live wire?
Socal, the fuses were not blown, but they were those glass type fuses. They were also the only two glass fuses that I had since I replaced the others with stock looking fuses that I bought at PepBoys.
Once again, thanks Socal and mark.
pictures
Old 10-02-2003, 12:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

The live wire can be identified beacuse its the one arcing to ground and setting your car on fire! Seriously if the ends are bare it could be dodgy or even if they are ended in terminals its still worth insulating them. The worrying thing is that the PO might have added the electric antenna and just run a wire to the battery without fusing it. I think these antennas have a thicjk high current feed and a smaller trigger wire from the radio, ideal would be to find and disconnect both at the battery/radio/fuse boz end.

Mark

Old 10-02-2003, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Glass fuses. There has been trouble before with these electrical circuits. Expect more. You are going to have a rough time finding the cause.
Old 10-02-2003, 11:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: